Four

"Are you sure you're just friends?" Alaska asked me as we walked down the hall.

I had told her the story of why I was limping so bad. I had a brace on it but it still hurt like hell.

"Yes Alaska. Nothing has happened. Just friends," I told her for the thousandth time.

"Most people you just became friends with don't show up at your house randomly," she told me.

"Well we are just friends," I said, annoyed.

"Yeah whatever. I should get to class now," Alaska said and walked away.

Thankfully, I was right outside the door for my class so I didn't have to hurry. I walked in and sat down. This was going to be a fun day,

***

I started walking to my car at the end of the day when I heard someone yell at me.

"Hey! Lakyn!" I heard Jacks voice yell.

I turned around and saw him walking up from behind me.

"Hey," I said stopping.

"You're limp has gotten worse," Jack pointed out.

"Yeah. It hurts like a bitch," I told him, laughing.

"I want to make it up to you. If it weren't for me this hadn't happened."

"Jack it's fine. It's happened every volleyball and basketball season. I'm a clutz," I shrugged it off.

"Still. I want to do something to make it up to you," Jack started but I stopped him.

"Seriously. It's fine," I said, sternly.

"What's wrong?" he asked me.

"We know nothing about each other, other than we both like basketball. And I know a few things about you from Vine," I said, blushing at the last part.

I had stalked Jack and Jack's vine way to many times to count.

"So lets do something to get to know each other better," Jack suggested.

"I need to go," I said and turned around, walking towards the door.

Fourteen year old me would hate me right now. Who am I kidding, me from a few days ago would hate me. I just turned down the chance to hang out with Jack Gilinsky.

I walked out to my car and saw Alaska waiting for me. There was no sign of Zoe yet so I knew I wasn't too late.

"Where have you been it's freezing!" Alaksa yelled.

"You should be used to the cold Alaska," I teased.

"You shut your whore mouth," Alaksa laughed.

I unlocked the doors and got in. I turned the car on and blasted the heat. Not soon after, Zoe opened the door and got in slamming the door shut.

"Why are you so happy?" I asked looking at her through the rearview mirror.

"Dad isn't coming back for another few days," she said bitterly.

I just groaned in response and started driving to Alaska's house. He always seemed to be gone for longer than expected. It made Zoe and I suspicious but mom never thought too much about it.

***

I was almost done with my homework when my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID to see it was Jack. I slid the phone's screen to answer it.

"Hello," I said.

Everytime I answered the phone I said hello in a formal tone and I hated it.

"Hey. I'm sorry about everything. Your ankle and what happened in the hallway," Jack said.