Nine

"I should probably leave," Alaska said the next day.

We had done nothing except eat and watch Teen Wolf. We had such intense lives it was scary.

"But then I'll be alone with someone who is pissed at me," I pleaded.

"You'll be fine. In fact maybe you'll make amends," she suggested putting on her black and white Vans.

"Fine."

"I'll see you tonight," she said.

"How are you getting home?" I asked.

Normally I took her home since she didn't have a car.

"My mom's outside. We have some last minute Christmas shopping to do. I'll be back later with new clothes and your birthday present."

I had almost forgotten today was my birthday. Maybe since it was my birthday Zoe would talk to me now.

"Okay. See you then," I said as she opened the door.

"Bye."

I walked back to my T.V and started watching Spring Breakers to pass time. I had nothing to do now until Alaska came back; unless Zoe decided to actually talk to me now.

An hour into the movie my phone started ringing. I looked at the screen to see it was a call from my parents.

"Hello," I said when I answered.

"Happy birthday!" my mom's voice said.

"Thank you."

"Your father and I are very sorry we aren't there to celebrate with you."

"Oh that's okay."

It was more than okay. It was the best birthday present they could give me. I could watch whatever I wanted on T.V and Alaska could stay over 3 days in a row.

"Well I have to go back to what I was doing. Your present is in our room on the bed."

"Okay. I love you. Bye," I hung up.

I wanted to open my gift but I didn't really want to walk upstairs. I thought about it for a few minutes before I figured I should probably shower while Alaska was gone.

I showered and combed my hair before I went to open my gift. I opened the door leading to their room and saw a small box sitting on the foot of their bed. I walked over and picked it up. I unwrapped it and inside there were three small earrings. I was confused for a second before I realized what kind of earrings they were. My parents were finally letting me get my forward triple helix.

I had been asking for my forward helix piercing since I was Freshman. They always told me no. I figured I was lucky I got my normal ear piercing. I was so excited I wanted to jump up and down. I loved the way they looked on other people I was just hoping they looked as good on me as they did on everyone else.

I knew I was going to have to wait until after basketball season until I was able to actually get them done but that didn't matter right now.

"Why are you so happy?" Zoe asked.

"Mom and dad are letting me get my forward helix pierced," I informed her.

"Look. I'm sorry about everything lately. I'm still not going to tell you who the guy was but I don't want that to affect us."

"I'm sorry too. For calling you a bitch so much. I can only imagine how bad that hurt you."

"Anyway," Zoe said, "Happy Birthday!"

"Thanks," I smiled.

"I didn't get you anything because I was too busy."

"With what?" I asked.