Eighteen

I was sitting on the couch with Zoe and my mom watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians, their choice, not mine. I was pretending to care about what was happening in their lives until the doorbell rang and I silently thanked every God, or God like person, from every religion I could think of.

"I got it," I said, jumping up as fast as I could to make sure neither of got up to answer the door.

I opened the door, not knowing who was there but also not really caring. When I opened the door I didn't recognize who was standing there for a second.

It was Alaska, but she looked completely different. She had dyed her hair dark blue and was wearing a lot of make up. 

"I know. I've made a lot of changes in the past few weeks," she said, noticing my confusion.

"Yeah you have," I agreed.

"Lakyn, I miss you. I've said a lot of stupid things the past couple months but please forgive me," she pleaded.

"Alaska I'm not mad at you. I never was. You just stopped talking to me," I laughed.

"Really? That's a huge relief. I figured you'd never want to talk to me again."

"Yeah well you're an idiot so..." I said.

"Shut up. I know I am you don't have to tell me."

"I'm so glad you're here though. My family was making me watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians."

She walked inside and I shut the door.

"Now tell me everything that has happened to you in the past month," I said. "I'm desperate to not watch that show."

***

We went to my room and talked about everything that had happened in the past month. I told her about my date with Sam and what had happened with Jack and she told me about what her mom said when she found out she dyed her hair.

"She was freaking out and I thought she was going to kill me," she laughed.

"Why did you do it than?"

"Because I thought it was a great idea at the time and didn't have someone to stop me."

"Were you drunk when this happened?"

"Maybe a little," she said, holding up her index finger and thumb to show she was just a little drunk.

"And by a little you mean a lot right?" I said, knowing what Alaska thought was a little drunk everyone else thought was hammered.

"Probably," she shrugged. "So are you dating Sam now?"

"No," I said quickly, shaking my head.

"Why not. I know you like him and he's liked you since basically forever," she said in a mocking voice.

"How did you know he liked me?"

"Please. Everyone knew. Except for you apparently."

"Fuck. Am always this oblivious to everything?"

"Yes. Where is Sam anyway? I figured you spent every second with him," she said.

"He's in Florida," I told her.

"Well that explains it. But I'm more fun to hang out with than Sam right?" she said.

I knew it was a rethorical question and I only had one choice so I just went with it. "You're way more fun than Sam."

"I know."

She was fun to hang out with but not as much as Sam.

***

"I think you should dye your hair, too," Alaska said.

We had spent the last hour on our phones like we normally did when we hung out.

"Definitely not," I said, shaking my head. Dying my hair was definitely not something I wanted to do. I liked my hair the way it was.

"You could get it done in a cool color and it would be awesome," she persisted.

"I like my hair the way it is."

"You're no fun," she said.

"So you've told me," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Seriously though. Do something cool before you go to college."

"For the last time. No. I like my body and hair the way it is."

"Whatever, loser," she said and went back to looking at her phone.

***

The next day Alaska had called me a loser enough times that I gave in and decided to dye my hair.

"What are you going to dye it?" she asked.

"What color best describes that I hate the person who made me do this so much?" I asked.

"Poop brown," she said.

"It was a rhetorical question but thank you for that."

"You're welcome. But seriously, what color are you dying it?"

"Here look at this picture. I want it done like this."

I showed her a picture on my phone of Kalel Cullen when she still had turquoise hair.

"I like it," she said approving.

"Great," I said sarcastically.

We were sitting in a salon waiting for the person who was going to do my hair.

"Lakyn," a black women who was working gestured to come sit in her chair.

"At least you have a black lady. They care a lot about their hair," Alaska said.

"And your daily dose of racism brought to you by Alaska," I said.

***

"Holy crap," I said, looking at my newly turquoise hair. I actually liked it a lot. I didn't look as good as Kalel Cullen did with it but I still liked it.

"I love it," Alaska said when i walked over to her.

"Me too," I said.

"You're welcome," she smiled.

"Thanks," I said sarcasically.

"Does everything that comes out your mouth have to be sarcastic?"

"Only when everything that comes out your mouth is stupid," I replied.

"Thanks," she said.

"Let's just leave. I already paid."

I drove Alaska to her house in almost complete silence. I couldn't tell if we were both mad at each other because of PMS or we had started to grow apart.

"I'll talk to you later," she said and got out of the car before I could say anything.

"Well that's nice," I said to myself.

***

Hey guys. Another bad chapter but I still have writers block so I just write about the first thing that comes to my mind

Thanks

-Rianamays