Chapter 16

The night before the hearing, Bonnie had a hard time sleeping. She tossed and turned since she first laid down a little before 11:00pm. She continued like that until almost midnight, her mind awash with anxiety over what the day would bring tomorrow.

Knowing she needed go get some sort of sleep in order to stay awake at court tomorrow, she got up, threw her robe over her cotton, eyelet nightgown and went in search of some aspirin in the bathroom.

As she approached downstairs, she saw a light coming from the game room. She peeked in the slightly open door to see the billiard balls scattered all over the top of the table and the cue thrown on the floor. Over on a small sofa, Kai sat there doing something she couldn't quite make out. As soon as her eyes came into better focus, she realized that he was twisting his wedding coven around and around his finger.

She absentmindedly reached for her simple, matching gold one and did the same. Suddenly, as if he felt her through the bond in their rings, he looked up and saw her peering into the room. He quickly stood as Bonnie startled a bit.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you. It's just that I couldn't sleep and went to go get some aspirin. I saw the light on in here and, well... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been..."

"Bonnie?"

The soft whisper of her name was like a gentle, calming breeze.

"Yeah?"

He sat back down, leaned his arms on his knees, clasped his hands and hung his head. "I'm scared about tomorrow. I'm scared I'm gonna lose the major custody of Josie. What if if this isn't enough? What if I get a judge that awards the majority of the custody to Vicki, regardless of the circumstances?"

Bonnie heard the desperation and fear in his voice and walked in. As she got closer, she saw that his hands were shaking. She sat next to him and put a comforting hand on the two of his.

"Kai, I don't know what to say except that you're doing all you can. That alone will show tomorrow. Whereas Vicki carelessly up and left, you're sitting here worrying and losing sleep about possibly losing Josie. It's not fair. You care so much more about her and love her fiercely. All we can do is hope and pray that the judge sees that."

Kai looked at her and his breath caught a bit at the sight of her in her feminine, knee-length eyelet robe which covered a matching nightgown underneath. His eyes traveled to her face and the genuine concern for Josie and the situation overwhelmed him.

He undid his clasped hands and captured hers. "Bonnie, you don't know how relieved I am that you're gonna be there with me tomorrow. It means so much. I think you care about and love Josie more than Vicki does."

Bonnie was getting very warm at the intimacy of the situation. The feel of his hands engulfing hers, the sound of his voice, the look upon his face, the fact that she was sitting here covered in nothing but a short nightdress and matching robe and nothing else.

She gulped as she gazed upon his beautiful face, this man who was her husband. All she wanted to do was to make him feel better, give him some hope.

"I can't speak for Vicki's feelings about Josie, but I can speak for my own. I do care about her, a lot. And I do love her. It's hard not to."

Bonnie meant those words to be towards Josie, but they were directed towards Kai. What she'd fought in the months of her employment and ever since their wedding day was slowly becoming a lost battle. This situation had drawn them closer than ever and it was beginning to come to the surface.

Kai reached up and tenderly stroked her smooth cheek, sighing as he did so. "I know you do, Bonnie. And I know she cares about and loves you, too. Very much. Very, very much."