|14| phantom's return

—AUTHOR'S POV—

Officer Min knocks on the door and stuffs his hands in his pockets. Mrs. Hanson answers shortly.

"Good morning detective. Come on in."

"Thank you. You have a lovely home." He wanders.

"Let me brew you some tea—"

"That's alright. I'm just here for the intel."

"Oh. Well cops have practically been showing up here every day to ask me about Lilo's whereabouts. I keep telling them I don't know, and that my husband and I were out for town when she got arrested."

"Your daughter was charged with 28 years for murder, and now life for escaping and conducting a police chase which resulted in various freeway accidents... Why aren't you protecting her? Is it for the prize money?"

"No no..." She swallows in shame. "Lilo's grown distant from us. She's prioritizing the wrong things, and I'm afraid she'll never learn her lesson without serious consequences."

"...I see. Well you should know that prison is a serious life change, not a timeout corner for kids who make their mothers feel insecure." He continues to wander the room. His casually-delivered comment takes the woman back.

"Do you believe your daughter committed the murders?"

"Goodness no... Lilo was only 7, she didn't know a single "Kim" we could've introduced her to. I had never even heard of the property where it took place, so she couldn't have gotten there. Besides..."

She goes to the drawer and hands him an old photograph she had been hiding. Officer Min pinches it in his fingers. "What's this?"

"The murder of that man took place on January 8th right? That's a photo of Lilo, my husband and I at Disneyland on that very day, January 8th. We weren't even in the country when the act took place."

Yoongi stares at the date in the photo's frame, then nods.

"Thank you for sharing this, I'll hold onto it. Though it still doesn't explain the death of Lim Carmine and Sergio Pennyworth."

"Unfortunately I don't know about that part. A couple of nights before the arrest my daughter called, asking us to come home. She said she didn't feel comfortable staying home alone. We don't know what could have spooked her, but maybe those men had something to do with it?"

"Maybe. And you say you know where she is now?"

"Who she's with. She bought over a boy one time... Awfully handsome. She even keeps his photo in her room."

"Recall what he looks like?"

"Uh... Tall... Small face... Very pretty eyes."

Yoongi lets his eyes run along the carpet before he nods. "Thank you, Mrs. Hanson. You've been great help. Mind if I take a look in your daughter's room before I leave?"

"The cops have already raided it a dozen, but be my guest."

So he goes upstairs to Lilo's room which seems to look pretty normal. Nothing out of the ordinary.

It were almost unnoticeable but between the stack of textbooks in her dresser, lies a photo album. He opens it up and starts to flicker through.

Yoongi almost gives up too, until he lands on a page of Lilo and her friends at the Winter Wonderland fair. They all give cheery smiles, most of the friends being her co-workers. His brows furrow at the sight of the box-smiling man holding onto her shoulder and throwing a peace sign over her head.