𝟏𝟕: 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

❝ i'd appreciate it if you removed your weapon from my brother's throat, anko. ❞

MICHIRU'S voice low and intimidating as she spoke, her hardened glare switching from the kunoichi to the long-tongued woman behind her. the redhead was internally fuming at the sight of her brother-- her and mitarashi having an intense stare-down until the older leaf ninja moved her attention to the figure behind her.

"i was.. just returning your knife."

"why, thank you-- grass ninja."

the female uzumaki paid no mind to their dialogue as anko and the mysterious ninja parted, instead her focus on the leaf ninja. for some reason she seemed familiar but she wasn't able to pinpoint exactly why.

i'll think about this later, but for now where's that idiot?

michuru delivered a punch to the back of her brother's head as he was sticking out his tongue, attempting to replicate the grass ninja's skill.

"next time, try not to get yourself in stupid situations."

the blonde let out a nervous chuckle as he scratched the back of his head, "uh.. sorry sis."

"seems like everyone here is quick tempered-- must be something in the air."

after a moment the corner of her mouth twitched into her cheek-- in the red head's direction.

"today's gonna be fun."

michiru could have walked away had it not been for the smirk. that little rise in the corner of anko's mouth she was oblivious to combined with the cool detachment in her eyes sealed her fate. not only had she openly annoyed the uzumaki, it was giving her inner delight. she was savoring the moment.

by striking out my cover would be blown, little girls just don't take out jonin kunoichi.

so michiru carried on walking. she pushed past the older woman and stood by the rest of squad seven as consent forms were being passed around.

"one word of advice for ya.. don't die!"

as people dispersed with their teams, they went over the consent form. sakura began talking with sasuke but ultimately gave up as he was ignoring her-- she tried talking with the female uzumaki but she disappeared in a puff of smoke.

a shadow clone.

turns out michiru had other plans.

by the time the clock had struck two, squad seven had already received their scroll and listened to anko's further instructions-- waiting by gate twelve.

"the test will begin in approximately thirty minutes!"

michiru scanned the forest front for inconsistencies and at first she saw none, just moss and lichen. But then she just caught a familiar noise, a small motor, like one used to move a camera. she mentally recorded "nothing suspicious" in a deliberately inaudible volume and returned to her squad's side, utterly unmarked and ubiquitous within.

just then a proctor stood before the metal barrier, a jingling sound emitting from him before the chains fell from the gate.

the iron gate had been forged a century ago. it was a clear twelve feet tall and made of twisted black rods. at the end some were curled in convoluted patterns and opportunist spiders had created webs there. the latch lifted with ease and it swung open almost without sound.

"alright, heads up you maggots! the second part of the test has begun!"

the competing ninja flew through the openings in the blink of an eye, assuming position for the exam. as for squad seven, naruto led the group-- sasuke and sakura taking up the middle; leaving michiru to cover the back as they walked into an endless of possibilities.

"well alright! here we go guys!"

that lady seemed familiar.. but why?

the thought trundled through her brain like a train, with no intention of stopping. as she watched it's tail lights winking in the distance, all trace of it leaving her neurons, she wondered if maybe that was the one idea that would have made her loose it. but, like a good dream you wish to remember, it had gone and left no traces that would help recreate it.

"michiru.. michiru!"

the red haired uzumaki stirred to her brother's voice, the trance going away as everyone's attention was on her.

the uchiha narrowed his eyes at michiru.

something flashed beneath the surface of her hardened expression and sasuke hurried to investigate the sudden shift. it was too late, the emotion disappeared before he could identify it, like reaching desperately for an escaped balloon; the string dangling so tantalizingly close but the wind pushed it away and it's lost forever.

"like i was saying.. there's nothing to be scared of-- its gonna be a piece of cake!"

a strained look found naruto's face as he hopped from one foot to the other before turning to a tree.

"e-excuse me a second, i really gotta.. ya know"

the bubblegum hair kunoichi delivered a blow to back of his head, her face clearly showing agitation.

"yeah, right! what is this, a kennel? not in front of me you don't!.. find a bush or something."

he disappeared into a nearby shrubbery; shortly after, michiru sensed a new presence. she stood from the ground and put the book away-- mumbling a few words to her self before addressing sasuke and sakura.

"i'll be back."