𝟎𝟕: 𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐭

THE ninja of the leaf, along with tazuna, sat quiet as the small boat traveled

THE ninja of the leaf, along with tazuna, sat quiet as the small boat traveled. the engine had been turned off-- that way they avoid drawing attention, the mention able fog aiding in masking their presence.

naruto sat at the head of the boat, his eyes peering out into the misty distance. michiru and sasuke sat across from each other-- the red head indulged in her novel while the uchiha boy stared ahead. as for sakura and kakashi, the pair were closest to the bridge builder, listening to his explanation.

"in an island nation, a man who controls the sea—"

"--controls everything. and by building a bridge, you're joining to the land and breaking his control."

tazuna nodded at michiru's analysis, his eyes going landing on the bridge. the old man explained how the land was too poor to afford a higher ranking mission-- that being the reason behind his lying. by the end of it, kakashi had decided to carry on with the mission-- for the sake of tazuna's grandson and daughter.

once they'd reached the forest, michiru stayed ahead of the group-- observing the area for any possible threats.

the next ninja they send won't be chunin, they'll be jonin, elite ninja with deadly skill.

"over there!"

naruto's grunts and sporadic movements were concerning, but what caught her attention was his throwing of a kunai.

"it was just a mouse.."

michiru approached the blonde, punching the back of his head.

as the group lectured the uzumaki boy about his actions, michiru snapped her head in the direction of rustling bushes. naruto had seen this, sending another kunai flying.

the red head peered into the shrubbery, only to see a white rabbit.

"naruto, look what you did!"

white fur? it isn't winter..

michiru made eye contact with kakashi, the pair thinking the exact same. just then a sword came spinning towards the group.

"look out!"

the blade barely missed takuza's head, instead it landing in the base of a tree-- a man appearing on the handle of it. michiru's breath hitched at the sight of the male. naruto looked as if he wanted to charge at the man, michiru putting her hand out to stop him-- the other reaching for her sword.

"you're in the way. get back."

"wha-- who is this guy, michiru?"

"zabuza momochi, one of the legendary seven ninja swordsmen of the mist."

the boy disregarded her words, trying to walk forward-- only to be pushed back once again. she turned to her brother, her eye showing a glimpse of fear.

"naruto you don't understand. he isn't like the other ninja we've fought-- he's way out of our league."

kakashi then stepped forward, pulling his headband up to reveal his eye-- which contained the sharingan.

"kakashi of the sharingan eye. did i get that right?"

zabuza let out a dry chuckle as his eyes scanned the group, ultimately landing on the female uzumaki.

"and who do we have here? the phoenix of the hidden leaf-- i've heard plenty about you."

michiru remained calm at his words, in one swift motion-- she'd unsheathed her sword and held in before herself.  she weighed the sword in her right hand, slashing it delicately at the air with a novice-like apprehension, and as she did so the reflection of the orange torch flame danced warmly within the cool steel. the handle of the sword was bound with black leather, the hilt decorated yet understated, and the blade long.

"now quick! manji formation! protect the bridge builder and stay out of this fight. i taught you teamwork-- now it's time to use it."

the genin all assumed position around tazuna, michiru upfront with her brother and sasuke on either side-- sakura protecting the back. as zabuza disappeared to the water, a heavy fog settled in.

the hidden mist jutsu

as the mist continued to get thicker, michiru steadied her breathing as she closed her eyes-- allow her to better sense zabuza's presence.

i just need a lead..

"eight points." zabuza's disembodied voice spoke.

"larynx, spine, lungs, liver, jugular, subclavian artery, kidneys, heart."

just a bit more

"now", he smiled, "which will be my kill point?"

suddenly a burst of chakra erupted around kakashi. as the intensity of the atmosphere continued to rise, sasuke grew anxious. he seemed to be fighting a battle of his own within himself.

"sasuke! calm down. i'll protect you with my life. all of you. i will not allow my comrades to die."

kakashi turned to face the kids, smiling over his shoulder.

"trust me."

the fiery haired girl smirked as her eyes fluttered open.

"i wouldn't be so sure."

bingo

just as zabuza went to attack, michiru was quick to whipped around to clash steel. caught off guard by her speed, zabuza looked at the girl as the sword was plunged through him-- the clone falling to a puddle shortly after.

michiru had jumped back-- her guard higher than ever. she held the blade even, a perfect, undaunted horizon; always leveled with the nose, just as she had learned over the years.

"the girl has skill-- it's undeniable. that fact that she was able to pin point my exact location, not to mention her speed-- but it takes more than a few good tricks to beat me."

naruto made eye contact with his sister, his orbs suddenly widening. "kakashi, watch out!"

zabuza's clone was a diversion, the real one lunging at him as of now. in the time given to react, the male was sliced in half-- only for it to be revealed as a water clone as well.

in the midst of the group, kakashi held a kunai to the swordsman's throat, "don't move."