Chapter Forty [A Slice of Cake]

Another chapter for y'all! We're getting to some good stuff. My girl Alista will be coming on stage real soon! GAME OVER was the original story Alista and her family were in before I also put them in the Falling to Rise/Destiny Calls story

~~~~~

GAME OVER

Chapter 40 [A Slice of Cake]

~~~~~

Seto stumbled up the ravine's path, without his magic which was bound to his mother's staff he didn't have the benefit of flying at his disposal.

And his head. His head was filling up with his memories of Jason, many of which were forgotten over time. They resurfaced like a plague and sickened him as the overflowed into his brain. He couldn't focus. This onslaught of memories felt more forced, like he was being made to see them. What had Adam done to him.

"Mr. Stars informed me you requested my assistance?" Jason approached the mouth of the cave with quiet and hesitant steps.

Seto was quietly working at his desk fully expecting his appearance and he didn't hesitate to respond, "Sit," Seto pointed to nowhere in particular. Jason hesitantly walked into the cave and found an unoccupied part of the floor.

"Did you need help cleaning? I-I don't mind, I'm good at that--"

"No."

"Ok...Did you need help with--"

"Just sit." Seto didn't turn around and continued to work despite the growing discomfort Jason felt. Those feelings simply unfazed Seto.

As Seto worked, he felt Jason's gaze wander around his study until finally landing on its target. A box. There was a slight gasp.

"Take a piece, it was yours to begin with," Seto said. He flipped to the next page in his notebook and continued writing in his hardly readable scripture.

"N-no than--"

"I insist. It was a well crafted cake and you'll find you won't be disturbed here..." Seto paused before adding, "It'd be a shame if I had to finished the last slice myself."

Jason's eyes wandered back to Seto's backside in shock, "Did you eat this entire thing yourself!"

Seto frowned and stopped writing, he thought this kid was intelligent, at least to some extent, "Of course not, there is still one slice."

Jason was silent and Seto resumed scribbling notes into his notebook.

"You're not what I was expecting..."

"Oh?" Seto responded.

"I've heard all these rumors that you're this unwavering, soulless sorcerer with a thirst for death," Jason remarked.

"I see," Seto was not a stranger to such remarks, but with his curse he took no offense. Seto snapped the book he was referencing shut and stood from his desk. Jason watched as Seto walked over to a shelf, but he didn't put the book back into the shelf. Instead Seto placed the book into a tower of books next to the shelf as he carefully peered into the shelf before pulling out another book. Seto took the new book back with him to his desk and continued working.

"Your father," Seto interrupted, "You're not fond of him, correct?"

Jason quietly glared down at the ground, "We aren't close. I was raised by the first family my father became acquainted with when we moved to the small town of Evra. As prime contributors to the kingdom, the Clarks were very well known, but I'm sure you know that. Regardless, at the age of four, my father dumped me with them and came to work here for the next 20 years of my life. He never visited, never called, and never wrote, but here I am now...responding to his call to be his apprentice," Jason spat.