I rubbed my sister's hand, then squeezed it.

"Sorry your day sucked. Want me to make you a feel-better snack?" I proffered, setting my head on her soft, sweet-smelling shoulder while I returned to drawing on my tablet. "I learned how to bake blueberry sugar muffins the other day and I'm pretty confident about them."

"Actually, about that," she said, and to my confusion her tone was blank. "Why don't you eat?"

My heart stuttered and my hand fell still.

I didn't respond: my pulse was pounding and my throat felt tight. A bead of sweat ran down my cheek when my sister pulled away and looked at me. The world started meshing together... I was so scared. I didn't know what to say, didn't know how to react, all I could do was lie.

Pretend I had no idea what she meant.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying to keep my tone light. "I eat quite a bit when you're--"

"Don't lie," she told me seriously, hazel-blue eyes blank. "I've been testing you all year. All the food I bought for you over the last six months is expired, and I kept the receipts so I could check if you've eaten anything. You haven't touched a thing."

"I... I eat out," I floundered, panicking. "I--"

"I checked with the bank," she interrupted, "and you haven't purchased anything food-related, only... strangely enough, a frightening amount of medical needles and bio hazard waste bags."  

The world went grey and I felt like I was going to pass out.

I fought to keep my cool, but I was shaking, I couldn't see right.

The world swum and her voice came from a million miles away.

I couldn't tell her the truth, but I couldn't get out of this, either... I had to do something. Anything. So, I did the one thing I could think of and snatched my little sister's hand, I squeezed her wrist when she lowered her gaze to stare at my trembling fingers in surprise.

"Kimmy..." I croaked, not lifting my head. "I can't tell you."

"Why?" she asked, instantly sounding upset and frustrated. "Just talk to me, okay!"

My heart sped up so quickly that to me, it felt almost as though it had stopped beating altogether. Slowly lifting my head, I stared at my sister, and I guess she must have seen something in my face since her eyes twitched.

"I'm sorry... I really, really can't tell you," I said quietly, making her stare at me with a surprised expression. "I'm so sorry, Kimmy."

"W-what are you saying?" she asked, waving her free hand. "Why are you apologizing? Do you have a drug addiction or something?! Is that what this is about? It would explain why you're looking so unhealthy lately, but you have to talk to me! Please!"

"No, it's not drugs, but I still can't tell you!" I said, shaking my head. "You don't understand!"

"Understand what?" she cried, incensed; then her eyes softened a little and she touched my cheek. "Come on, Bro, tell me what's wrong. You can tell me anything."

I closed my eyes and swallowed, fighting my fear down.

We were siblings. 

She was my best friend and my sister. 

I'd raised her.

"I can't tell you," I whispered, slowly opening my eyes; when her eyes landed on my teeth, which I'd forgotten to try and hide, her expression changed and I felt the world slowing down. My sister's eyes widened and went blank and she was definitely staring at the fangs protruding from my jaw. In an instant, she pulled her hand away and stood up, staring me down with cold, unfamiliar eyes.