𝐄𝐗𝐓𝐑𝐀 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐓 ━━━ Q&A ₊˚.༄

Happy International Fanwork Day everyone! I was honestly a little caught off guard by this day and Valentines Day because I've been pretty busy with school work lately

Happy International Fanwork Day everyone! I was honestly a little caught off guard by this day and Valentines Day because I've been pretty busy with school work lately. So instead of a special chapter, I chose to whip up a quick Q&A with a few questions you guys have asked me now that we are mostly halfway through the series. Don't worry, this will not hinder the scheduled post tomorrow, so look forward to that! Now, without further delay. Here we go!

Original Designs for Miki?

Okay, so I'll be touching on both physical differences, and characteristic differences in this section cause BOY THERE ARE A LOT.

Let's go through the physical development in designs for Miki, because that is perhaps the easier one of the two. Miki was always created to be Tamaki's sister. Though at first she was slated to be his blood sister (more on that later), so her concept was the same blonde hair and blue eyes as the man himself. But when I shifted her background into being his half-sister, I wanted her appearance to be different from Tamaki's, so it adds to why those around them do not question or suspect her of being part of THE Suoh family in the first place. For a while, I considered the brown hair brown eyes combo, but I then came across Princess Charlotte from Violet Evergreen, who was perfect for the role of Miki. She had that doe-eyed, curious look, which is perfect for Miki. And let's be honest, Charlotte is gorgeous. I also found the strawberry blonde hair (okay, side note, Miki's hair is actually strawberry brown, but I just went with blonde because of consistency throughout the story) a pretty interesting trait. As we saw in the Spain Arc, Elisa doesn't have the pink tint in her hair, and neither does Yuzuru. It's an Autosomal Recessive Trait from Rita, meaning it's a genetic trait skips a generation (who's hair already greyed due to age and stress, despite being pretty young). I liked that idea, so I ended up rolling with it.

Now, for Miki's personality. Oh boy. So, if you look back on the first few chapters and read in between the lines, Miki was meant to be a much more cynical character. She was initially planned to be more mysterious and mischievous than anything, slowly showing her softer more innocent and happy-go-lucky side. In the draft of the first chapter, she made snide remarks about Yuzuru and his mistress, as well as being very formal and distant from Tamaki and the hosts. I know, I know. Lower your pitchforks and hear me out, please. Answer me this, can ANYONE be as joyful and innocent as Miki is when putting through a situation like hers? Remember, she knows the full extent of her position. She knows she is a tool for political benefit, a failure of a person. Can anyone still be as cheerful and sweet as her despite knowing their sole purpose of being born was to become leverage to trap another family into a union? That's why Miki's character was initially written out to be pretty sarcastic.

However, when I eventually decided that I wanted to pair her up Kyoya, I realized that Miki wouldn't be nearly as interesting if she were to be a character like that. There are many times when I read other fanfictions; I found Kyoya to be quite out of character. After a little analyzing and thinking, I found that the reason why Kyoya felt so odd during some fanfictions is that the main OC is usually a cold, witty or emotionless girl. While opposites attract is not a guaranteed match, I believe the two have to at least bring a different view on things to the table, especially with such a cunning character like Kyoya. For their relationship to work and not alter Kyoya's character too much, Miki needed to be the expressive one of the two for the relationship I envision for them to have, to work. So I decided to switch it up a little, both so Kyoya wouldn't be too OOC and to break a stereotype that has been standing for far too long in the OHSHC fan fiction community. Miki's optimism and cheerful nature both intrigues and entertains Kyoya. And while she is expressive and extremely straightforward about how she feels, she doesn't understand how she feels due to her years devoid of parental love and care. On the other hand, Kyoya is exceptionally analytical and understands others' emotions well, but finds no meaning in expressing them and in turn shuts down emotionally. To each other, they are the key to being a better person, which is what I believe a good relationship should embody. Besides, I've always been a sucker for these kinds of stories. A dark prince and cheerful princess? Sign me up! I especially love it when there is a character who is established to be so logical and analytical but either can't find the heart to crush the ball of sunshine's smiles and dreams or in Kyoya's case, can't argue against her illogical reasoning.