16 ~ Uniform

Mae's POV

     A whole week passed. A week filled with murmurs and rumors about me. A week filled with mockery. A week filled with happiness accompanied by shame. A week without Marie.

     In a week, I have become quieter but spoken. I knew I shouldn't let these things get in my head but it's hard. I hate knowing that people think of me as a horrible person or a slut or a fake friend when they don't even know me. Why do people spread hate? Do they just like the drama? Are they just bored? I can't even stand up for myself because I don't want to give them the satisfaction. I can't even counterargue because what they have said are truths that have become one big lie.

     I did technically steal Mark from Marie. I did technically drive her out of the school. I did technically take her place. They're not wrong. Plus what if Mark doesn't like me anymore because of it. I flashback to the day Mark stayed over and I found a paper in his sweatshirt. "Meet me..." Meet who?

Right now the only things that help me are the anonymous letters. The words written to me and the thought behind it remind me thag I am worthy. They remind me of how much I impact someone positively at least.

"Mae?" I snap out of my gaze and return to reality. Liz is in front of me waving her hand in my face. All the noises in the mall have been completely cut off while I was thinking. "You haven't eaten your quesadilla yet." I look down and see a complete chicken quesadilla on my plate.

"Sorry." I say softly.

"You really put the sad in quesadilla." Liz jokes and starts laughing. I give her a small smile. Liz clears her throat. "Sorry. It was a good joke." Liz stuffs the last piece of her quesadilla into her mouth. "How's your song?" We have been producing songs in music production.

"It's pretty good. It has a mellow yet sweet tone to it." I explain. Yugyeom and BamBam show up, causing a ruckus throughout the food court as they start screaming and cheering. Liz and I immediately put our heads down and laugh at them.

"Shut up!" Liz commands them. They both sit at the table with big smiles.

"Ew." I react.

"Are you guys done spending your parents' money now?" Liz questions which makes me giggle.

"Actually, this is our money." BamBam says in a passive-aggressive tone.

"Where did you get the money?" I ask.

"We street dance." Yugyeom says with a big grin.

"What?" Liz and I both say.

"We dance on the streets for money." BamBam explains. "And we made huge dollars!" I stare at him in disgust.

"Don't say that ever again." I say and shake my head as I cringe.

"Where's Mark, by the way?" Yugyeom asks.

"He has a study group tonight." I say. "Why?"

"Oh... nothing." Yugyeom says and looks at BamBam suspiciously. I look over at Liz who shrugs. Why are they so unusual?

////

The next morning, BamBam and Liz arrive at my doorstep with bags of clothes in their hands. I sigh as I rub the eye crust from my morning eyes.

"What? Are you guys were serious?" I sigh and let them into my home. They place the clothes on the sofa.

"Everyone will think Twice once they see you in this." Liz states. She points at the clothing that BamBam and Yugyeom bought yesterday.