64: Happy Birthday to Me?

(Irresistible Ch 64: Unexpected Plans and Overbearing Managers)

"Is that the last one? Please tell me that's the last one."

I need it to be the last person Jeff wants me to talk to tonight. It's my birthday party after all and while I'm all for working a room and making connections that might propel my career forward, I'm exhausted and just want to find Mia in a very crowded Nobu.

Actually, all day has been one great big work obligation and I'm missing my girl.

Yes, Mia and I have been together in bed nearly every day since we got back from London but after what happened at the airport, could you blame us for hiding away from the world only getting out of bed when our tummies grumble from hunger or when nature inevitably calls?

It was great being just us. Mia bounced back for quicker than I thought she would. When she woke up the next morning she was refreshed and hopeful, not entirely accepting of the whole thing but in a calm and clear state of mind.

I, on the other hand, was exhausted. For half the night I stayed up watching her sleep, making sure she was comfortable in her slumber, and for the other half of the night my mind was tossing and turning trying to cope with what happened for myself.

It was horrific. I normally love meeting the fans even if they pick inconvenient spots to approach me but with Mia around it made me hate my own availability.

All I want to do is love and protect Mia, provide her with everything that she deserves and hopeful give her a happy life. Being bombarded by fans and paparazzi jeopardize that.

I kept going around and around in circles trying to come up with a solution and I did and I fully intended on telling her but when Mia woke up the next morning and found that she was relatively cheery I knew I couldn't tell her that Jeff was behind it.

I gave him a stern talking to, going as far as to peel myself away from Mia for a few minutes that day to curse him out over the phone until he was practically groveling for me to accept his apology. I did, reluctantly, but he's a friend and I know how badly he suffers from anxiety, especially when things are out of his control.

What he did was by no means excusable but I understand him and he understands me. Those little stunts won't happen again. I'm sure of it.

Confident of that fact, Mia and I were able to laze around like the lovebirds we are and it was the best decision ever.

And then this morning I got a text from Jeff listing all the obligations that I have to fulfill before the album comes out in a few months and I had to peel myself away.

So when I say I've spent my day talking to people I really have and the last thing I want to be doing at my surprise birthday party is to do the same thing. The day was for work and meetings with the label and tour planning with Jeff. Tonight is for drinking too much and making out with my girlfriend in dark corners and coping a feel in the coat closet without any fear of repercussions.

I need my girl and I want another drink.

I want to be sloppy and silly. I'm turning a year older after all and right I'm I'm the youngest I'll ever be and I do not want to spend it with Jeff. Sure I love the guy, he's gotten me to where I am and he's one of my closest friends but he's no Mia. He's not my girl.

"That was the last one," he chuckles, knocking back a big sip of his scotch. "I appreciate it."

For the first time since walking in, jumping out of my skin at the onslaught of 'Happy Birthday' and 'surprise' screams, and giving my girl a deep kiss and a big hug, I am able to actually stand back and look around the room at my friends and so of my favorite people in the world.