50: Tea Or Coffee Can't Fix This (Part 2)

(Irresistible Ch. 50: The Right Scone Can Fix Anything)

(A/N: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HIA!! I cannot believe it's been a year since I started this little story and I can't believe what it's become. I adore each and every one of you who have taken the time to read, vote, comment... you're all wonderful in my eyes. Hope you like this chapter, it's one of my favorites. Enjoy.)

I stride down the street as fast as my legs can take me without looking like a right lunatic. She couldn't have made it very far but she's a remarkably fast runner for someone who rarely exercises. When Mia wants to get away she will. It's like she has this secret store of energy kept for these instances.

At least I know she's warm. Somewhere out there on this snowy morning is my girl, swallowed up by my winter coat, walking around with god knows what going through her mind.

What she might be thinking terrifies me. First, she was so nervous, the writer in her coming up with all these dramatic scenarios of how this might go wrong and they did. She didn't tread on a cat, right now I'm sure she wishes she did because the reality turned out far worse.

I need to get to her, explain everything before she comes up with her own conclusions. They won't be accurate. She has such a negative view of herself that she'll take gem's words and believe them.

But Mia hasn't done anything wrong. Being a private person isn't wrong, it's a mark of survival and knowing the fate of her parent's I understand why.

Jesus, Mia where are you?

Before I know it I'm walking... okay, I might be running... into town. I hardly even know how long I've been walking but even at my accelerated speed, the chill is suddenly getting through.

Frustrated, I run my fingers through my messy hair before shoving my hand back into the front pocket of my jeans. I know I must look like a crazed man walking the streets this early in the morning but this is serious, my Mia is somewhere out here and she needs me. She might not think so, right now I'm sure she's planning her getaway plan, but she does.

And I need her just as much.

When I turn down the same street I took each weekend as a young teenager I make a b-line right to the bakery. I smell the fresh bread before I open the door, my stomach suddenly aching just as much as my heart is right now.

The homely smell only relaxes my nerves for a moment before I'm calling out to Barbra. She might have liked to get a bit handsy, pinching my bum when she knew I was talking to a cute girl at the register, but it's all in good fun, always had my back.

"Barbra?" The warmth of the bakery calms my bones but it does nothing to settle my heart. I have no idea what's brought me here other than the fact that I love this place, but something did, an invisible pull that brought me here... looking.

"Barbra I know this is a bit abrupt but have you seen–" and then I spot her. There she is, her head to the floor, Barbra's arm tucked around her shoulder, as my girl cries into her own hands.

I can't believe I allowed this to happen.

As if approaching a fearful animal, I step closer but she doesn't move. My old friend and I exchange a look before she removes herself from Mia's trembling form, making way for me to get in closer.

My heart is racing a mile a minute, not only for the situation but I'm also aware of our location, years of being followed and watched showing its effect.

I take a seat next to her, shielding her body from any early morning customers that come in to have a taste of the delectable baked treats. As I suspected she's the one who pinched my coat, the fabric engulfing her entire body and making her look even more petite than she already is.