Ch 52: Scramble and Scrabble

(A/N: Hey lovely readers. Its been a minute, but here we are with a brand new chapter. Enjoy.)

(Irresistible Ch. 52: Gemma's Confession and Something Extra)

"What?!"

Are the walls closing in because it feels like it?

My heart is filled with apprehension, far more than fear. It's not that I'm worried about Gemma being outright mean or intrusive because that's already been done, I am more than positive that the worst of her abilities were displayed last night. What has me on edge is the very fact that the worst has happened and have no idea what she might have in store now.

I have to admit that mum's calm demeanor is doing nothing to settle me. It like she doesn't remember what's happened between those two and it's startling.

"Your sister, my only daughter and firstborn..." Is mum sassing me right now? "Arrived back home about ten minutes ago from having breakfast with her friends. She thought, wisely, that it would be a good idea to give you some space. I think that was rather nice of her."

She is. My own mother is teasing me... I guess we all know where I get my cheeky streak from than.

"And?" I'm not even sure what I'm asking because I already know where she went. What I don't understand is why I'm not jetting up there now.

I should be trying to listen at the door or something, right?

"And..." she pauses making my heart slowly sink waiting for her next burst of motherly wisdom to break through, not entirely sure I'll be able to accept it just yet. "And I think you should give them a little time. All your sister wants is for you to be happy and after seeing you in that way this morning I think she's... Harry be careful," she yells after me when I scramble to my feet and book it upstairs.

I don't take in a full breath until I've reached the top step and I don't release it until I'm at my bedroom door and propelling myself through it.

"What the fuck is going on here?!"

And there they are, both on my bed looking all calm cool and collected... okay, maybe Mia isn't any of those things seeing as I just saw her jump out of her skin upon my arrival but she's doesn't look terrified and she's not crying so I think it's a valid description.

For a quiet moment, I look at one and then the other, surveying them for hints of what they might be talking about.

Is Gemma still in a disagreeable mood?

Has Mia admitted to anything else that I might not know about?

Are they still at odds or have they reached an understanding?

And why aren't they answering me?

From the relatively calm expression on their faces, I do hope that the answers lean toward that of a reconciliation but I don't want to assume here. I didn't think my sister could be as aggressive as she was last night, I could be completely off the mark now no matter how much my gut tells me that isn't so.

Gemma is still Gemma, my loving and protective older sister.

"Harry it's fine, we were just talking."

I turn my full attention back on my girl, her shoulders leaning against the headboard as she relaxes in my bed. Her face isn't screwed up in discomfort or even fear, she really does seem to be alright. My sister and my girlfriend are really just having a pleasant conversation.

Why do I still feel uneasy then?

I set myself next to Mia on the bed, taking her warm hand in mine just to have some contact.