Fear flitted across his features for the first time and he swallowed.

"So," he said lowly, struggling to keep the attitude. "So, what? Are you gonna kill me?"

"Sebastian wanted to," I said honestly, and his face went white so I quickly added, "but I talked him out of it. Really, what happens from here depends on you. That's why I said this is a serious issue. I don't want you getting hurt... I'm actually doing everything in my power to prevent that as best as I can, but I can't help you if you don't listen to me and take this seriously."

"There are cops outside!" he floundered, looking at the windows. "You wouldn't get away--"

"They're not human, either, idiot!" I snapped, and his face sank into a look of sheer horror. "We're literally everywhere, Steven! People like me are hiding in plain sight! That's why I'm telling you right here and now, getting yourself mixed up in this world is an extremely dangerous thing to do!"

His vibe was so strong when he glared that my skin crawled.

Again, it suddenly felt like there was a snake in the room, coiled and ready to strike out of fear.

He played with a leg of his aviator glasses. "So... you planned this."

"Not really, it was mostly Sebastian," I said honestly. "He did most of the work."

"Sebastian, hm?" he said lowly. "And how long are you going to fuck with him?"

I flinched. I knew exactly what he was talking about, but refused to give him the upper hand. "I didn't fuck with William... I genuinely loved him. He obviously didn't feel the same."

"Huh, so I guess he didn't kill himself because of you, then? I guess his suicide was a lie?"

I flinched again, clenching my fists as I hissed, "that's low."

"Low? You have no idea what that word even means," he hissed, peered down at me snidely. "If you did, you'd know that abandoning my uncle was the lowest thing anyone--"

I lost my temper and stomped forward, drawing my arm back to slap him in the face. He caught my wrist and jerked me closer, holding me still as he twisted my arm painfully. I flinched, staring up at him with widening eyes as he used his much-stronger grip to force me downwards, the pain making my legs buckle and bend as I fought to avoid letting him break my arm.

I tried not to scream, tried not to make a sound, because I knew if I did Sebastian would come out and hurt him... possibly, more than possibly, even kill him. I didn't want that, so I simply let it happen, let him twist until I was on my knees and he was roughly stepping around behind me.

Another hand gripped my hair and violently jerked my head back, making my eyes sting.

I saw fluorescent lights and his shadow as he leaned down.

"You think you're hot shit, huh?" he hissed, roughly jerking my head around. "You think you can do whatever you want just because you're a freak with long teeth? Bitch, think again."

"I just want this over with," I somehow managed to say, fighting to ignore the pain in my wrist and my scalp. "Let go... just let go of me and let go of all this hate. You're not getting any younger, okay? Doing this won't bring him back and it won't make things right."

"What the fuck do you know about being right?" he angrily demanded. "Your choices killed him!"

"Would you have rather he gone to prison for murder?" I quietly asked, and the aggression stopped immediately; his hands all but froze on me, lightening up intensely. I didn't care, I was staring straight ahead with my jaw clenched. "That's what would have happened if I hadn't run from him. He stabbed me, cut me, and tried to kill me. He went for my throat with a butcher knife like a serial killer in a horror movie would... his eyes... he was going to kill me."