chapter eight

I watched her as she slept on my bed

Wow, that came out a lot creepier than I expected.

Her face seemed content even with everything that just happened.

After we arrived home, I asked my mom to call one of her friend's who is a doctor to bring over a  kit to collect evidence from under her nails, as well as to check on her to make sure she didn't have a concussion. We filed a police report and turned it in.

After everything was done, it took about two hours my mom insisted on giving Brynn a bath, she nodded but was out of it most of the time.

When my mom saw all the bruises she cried. Like not just tears and sniffles when I said she cried she literally balled her eyes out.

My mom dressed her up in my t-shirt and boxers. Which were too big for her.

"Do you think we should call her dads?" She asks after using up a whole box of tissues.

"She doesn't want them to know just yet."

"I'll just call and tell them that she's gonna hang out with us for a few days." I nod and she walks into her room. "Make sure she's okay for the rest of the night." She told me and I nod.

I picked up Journey and took her into my room.

"Yay!" Journey claps once she lays her eyes on Brynn. She loves Brynn already. Probably more than me.

"She's sleeping right now." I shushed her.

"No." She said getting out of my arm and waddling to my bed. She hits the bed causing Brynn to wake up a bit.

I rushed over to pick her up. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have brought her in here."

"It's okay. I'll take her." She opens her arms and reaches for Journey. I put my daughter next to her.

Brynn lays Journey down next to her and wraps her arm around her.

"I'll be in the shower. Shout if you need anything." I tell her and she nods.

~

I took a 10-minute shower making sure that I'm not leaving her alone for a long time.

I got out and looked over to my bed to see a sleeping Brynn and Journey.

Journey was sleeping on Brynn's chest. Brynn had her arms wrapped around Journey's body, one hand patting her butt.

This is the cutest thing ever.

When moments like this happen where Journey is with my mom I just wish she had a mother figure in her life.

I remember the day where Journey was dropped off at my doorstep. She was in a car seat with a box next to her. There was a container of formula, baby cloths, and a note. On the note, it wrote 'I don't want this baby, you take her.'

My mother wanted a blood test before actually taking her in and after months it confirmed that I was her father. Within those months I still cared for her as if she was my daughter. I knew somewhere deep down she was mine.

I put on shorts and grabbed a pillow on the bed. I felt warm hands stop me.

"Don't sleep on the floor," Brynn whispers making sure not to wake Journey up.

"But—"

"It's your bed."

"You don't mind?" I asked making sure she was okay. I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable.

"Nope." She gives me a smile that literally can light up anyone's world any day.

I lay down next to her making sure to leave a space in between us.

"How are you so....?

"Content after getting punched in the face?" She finishes my sentence for me, laughing dryly.

"Yeah."

"I rather cover it than let it show."

"Why?"

"No one could see what I'm going through, no one will ask me and I won't be reminded, it's a very toxic coping mechanism but it works for now."

"But doesn't it get to you?"

"Yeah only when I'm alone."

"Do you ever talk to anyone about your pain?" I asked.

Honestly, how could a girl who smiles every second of the day be so hurt on the inside? I wouldn't expect it.

She hides it well.

"No. Nothing anyone says will help me. The only one who could help me is me." She shrugs.

"I understand."

"Yeah. How come you shut everyone out?"

"I don't trust anyone except for Kian and Dylan. They were there for me when I found out I had a daughter and helped me through everything."

"They sound like amazing friends to have."

"They are

"They are." He says.

"What is the meaning of your tattoos?" I ask noticing all the tattoos he has. I love tattoos.

"The rose on the right side of my stomach is for my mom she loves roses, the J on my right wrist stands for Journey, the sun and the moon on my forearm is just because I thought they were cool, and then I have mom's name on my chest near my heart because she taught me what love was and she never was harsh on me. She gave me everything I needed." He explains.

"That is cute. Do you plan on getting more?"

"Someday." He smiles and I do too before drifting off to sleep.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

published: January 23rd, 2020