Chapter 101: Dreams

Mary held her breath as she looked about the room. 

"It's wonderful," She said breathlessly as she turned her head upward towards the small chandelier and golden lace that ran along the upper balcony. 

Erik looked around and gave a small shrug, "I suppose it is." 

Mary couldn't help herself, she ran and tackled Erik in a rather large hug. 

He shifted uncomfortably and patted the young girl awkwardly on the back. 

"Thank you for telling me Mothers name," Mary whispered with a content sigh. 

Erik looked at her in trivial puzzlement, "Of course." 

------------

"Is it someone I know?!" Eli hissed angrily at his sister. 

"Of course," Ilios laughed. 

Eli sat, brow furrowed in deep thought. 

"Is it Sydney?" 

Ilios raised an eyebrow and gave an interested look deep into her brother's eyes, trying to discern his thoughts. 

"Do you want it to be Sydney?" She asked with great intrigue. 

"I hate you," he spat bitterly crossing his arms. "You've spoiled my evening." 

"Phooey." Ilios grinned prying his arm from his chest and holding it tenderly, "Thank you for sending for David. " 

"It was no trouble." 

Ilios leaned her head on her brother's shoulder and gave a small happy sigh, "Really Eli, I thank you." 

"if it was any trouble at all I wouldn't have done it," He said with a teasing laugh. "Now here's the plan. Though I do suppose I'll have to change it with the addition of some insufferable woman I'm supposed to take." 

"To take?" Ilios scoffed, "Well, aren't you domineering Mr. Destler." 

"Shut up." 

"No really Mr. Destler, tell me how you are going to sweep me of my poor fragile womanly feet and save my entire world," Ilios said in a high pitched voice mockingly. 

"Mother!" Winnie called out to the other boat, "Ilios is being in souffle again." 

"Insufferable," Eli corrected with a chuckle as he violently rubbed the hair on his youngest sisters head. "If you're going to offend her do it right." 

"I wish Wade was here," Winnie said with a huff, "I'm never picked on when Wade is here." 

Gustave overheard and gave his Mother a troubling question as to if the invalid would surely not come. 

Christine assured him that the last thing Wade would want was a public outing in the Opera House no matter how secure the location. 

"And how is Freddy?" Luke asked eagerly, "I hear he's becoming quite a wonder in the medical world." 

"Indeed," Christine nodded, "He claimed to Ilios to had found a cure for the common cold. Of course, he's lying but it was fun to watch the excitement on her face." 

Christine fixed her dress and watched the two men row as she attempted to phrase her net question as casually as possible. 

"Have you heard from Peter at all?" 

"Not I," Luke shrugged, "Not since Spring Break Last. He was in bad shape then." 

Gustave gave a more assuring answer, that he had seen Peter before he had left and the old friend was alive and well.