Chapter 87: Time Has Come

The weekend in Trouville passed brilliantly in a haze. There are very few private moments that I have not disclosed in this narrative, so I will give Ilios and her Mother the privacy of the wonderful happy moments that happened at that seashore.

However, on her first day home, Christine received a rather frantic phone call.

"Madam Giry?" Christine called making her way into the studio. "What's happened? What's so important you couldn't tell me on the telephone?"

"We have serious matters to discuss," Giry said solemnly gesturing for her to sit down. "How old is Ilios?"

"She'll be sixteen in February Why?"

Giry bit her lip, "Then there is time."

"Madam?" Christine asked slowly, "Serious matters about what."

"Why about Ilios of course," Giry exclaimed. "You were at Trouville over the weekend, with Peter Gaston. What a dreadful mistake."

"A mistake?" Christine laughed, "Whatever are you talking about?"

Madam Giry cleared her throat and stared at Christine, "Has it ever occurred to you- That Ilios-"

"Ilios?" Christine frowned, "I don't understand."

Madam Giry raised an eyebrow, "Well, that Ilios might, well?"

Christine'ss eyes widened, "Ilios?!"

"Yes Ilios."

"It isn't possible." Christine scoffed.

"It isn't," madam Giry chided, "Not if it's ruined at the beginning through lack of tact."

"I don't believe it," Christine said staring out the window, "Peter wouldn't- Ilios could never, she's only a child."

"How old were you when you met Erik."

"Sixteen but-"

"But?"

Christine scoffed, "We were young. It was a diffrent time!"

"Not much has changed," Giry exclaimed, "Only courtship is a time now for young woman to obtain their fortunes."

"Ilios has too good a heart to hurt him. She wouldn't be able to I'm afriad that-"

Madam Giry frowned, "Afraid of what?"

"I'm afraid of her falling in love with him. Or rather not. It kill her, I wouldn't bear it." Christine said firmly.

"I have no doubt he had a pleasant time," Giry said slowly, "So pleasant in fact that when he returned he canceled all other engagements, broke off all his relationships and left Paris."

"Left Paris?!" Christine exclaimed. "Where to?"

"Monte Carlo." Giry nodded, "For what they describe as an extended stay."

"Impossible." Christine said angrilly, "How dare you insinuate-"

"I'm simply saying, we have a chance here, an opertunity."

"Erik won't allow it," Christine said coldly rising, "And neither will I. Not even If she does want to live as you. I've seen how people above live now and I want no part in it! No part! I thought you were teaching her to be a lady, not this! Never this!"

"Christine," Giry pleaded, "I only want to secure her future."

"Hers?" Christine scoffed gathering her things, "Or yours?"

----------

"Hello Mother," Peter grinned entering the parlor, "Hello Ilios."

"Come in," Christine said, her face alcking it's usual smile.