eighteen

A swirling fog descended over London, then Dumbledore, Newt, and Neeki Disapparated to Trafalgar Square

A swirling fog descended over London, then Dumbledore, Newt, and Neeki Disapparated to Trafalgar Square. Dumbledore, Neeki, and Newt walked past the stone Landseer lions. Neeki had her arm looped around Newt's arm as she curiously looked around. The sky was even darker than before. A flock of birds flew into the air at their approach. Newt had been teaching Neeki more phrases, terms, and words. She was so curious. She loved learning.

"How was it?" Dumbledore asked.

"They're still convinced that you sent us to New York," Newt answered.

"You told them I didn't?" he asked back.

"Yes. Even though you did," Newt said. "You told us where to find that trafficked Thunderbird, Dumbledore. You knew that we would take him home and you knew that we'd have to take him through a Muggle port."

Pickett poked out of Newt's pocket and looked both ways. Neeki patted his head with her index finger.

"Well, I've always felt an affinity with the great magical birds," Dumbledore responded. "There's a story in my family that a phoenix will come to any Dumbledore who is in desperate need. They say my great-great-grandfather had one, but that it took flight when he died, never to return."

"With all due respect, I don't believe for a minute that's why you told us about the Thunderbird," Newt retorted.

There was a noise behind the trio as a silhouette of a man appeared out of the shadows. The trio quickly Disapparated to the Victoria Bus Station.

"Credence is in Paris, Newt. He's trying to trace his real family. I take it you've heard the rumors about who he really is?" Dumbledore asked.

"No," he replied.

The trio walked toward a stationary bus as Neeki started to talk. "He is a sad boy. He wants to be loved, yet he doesn't know how."

Dumbledore smiled. "You're getting better at speaking, Neeki. I'm proud of you."

She smiled back. "Thank you."

"The Pure-Bloods think he's the last of an important French line, a baby whom everyone thought lost..."

"Not Leta's brother?" Newt asked in shock.

"That's what they're whispering. Pure-Blood or not, I know this: An Obscurus grows in the absence of love as a dark twin, an only friend. If Credence has a real brother or sister out there who can take its place, he might yet be saved," Dumbledore informed. "Wherever Credence is in Paris, he's either in danger or a danger to others. We may not know who he is yet, but he needs to be found. And I rather hoped you two might be the one to find him."

Dumbledore conjured Nicolas Flamel's card from thin air and offered it to the pair. Newt eyed it in suspicion, while Neeki reached out to grab it. However, Newt grabbed her hand midair. Neeki wiggled her fingers in response. The card seemed to wiggle in response.

"What's that?" Newt asked.

"It's an address of a very old acquaintance of mine. A safe-house in Paris, reinforced with enchantments."

"Safe-house? Why would we need a safe-house in Paris?" Newt asked.

"One hopes you won't, but should things at some point go terribly wrong, it's good to have a place to go. You know, for a cup of tea," Dumbledore informed.

Newt shook his head. "No, no, no - absolutely not."

"Why not?" Neeki asked.

The driver to the bus boarded, the lights turning on as Dumbledore Disapparated. Newt stared after his empty seat and quietly groaned before Disapparating with Neeki.

They Apparated onto Lambeth Bride. It was completely dark. The street lamps were on and the trio seemed to be the only ones out.

"Why not indeed, Neeki," Dumbledore said.

"Neeki and I are banned from international travel, Dumbledore. If we leave the country, they will put us in Azkaban and throw away the key!" Newt exclaimed.

"Do you know why I admire you, Newt? More, perhaps, than any man I know?" Dumbledore questioned.

Newt stared at him in surprise, waiting for an answer.

"You don't seek power or popularity. You simply ask, is the thing right in itself? If it is, then I must do it, no matter the cost."

Dumbledore walked away.

Newt sighed in frustration. "That's all very well, Dumbledore, but, forgive me for asking, why can't you go?"

Dumbledore stopped walking. "I can't move against Grindelwald. It has to be you. Even Neeki has no true recollection of her past. That is a large disadvantage to her. In your shoes, I'd probably refuse too. It's late. Good evening, Newt, Neeki." He Disapparated.

"Oh c'mon!" Newt shouted.

Dumbledore's empty glove reappeared and tucked the business card bearing the address of the safe house into Newt's top pocket.

"Dumbledore," he said exasperatedly.

"Can we go home?" Neeki asked.

He sighed. "Of course, darling."