Soaring Down From A Hundred-Foot Pagoda Part 2

Zhao Min replied, "Father has given me the authority to command the Jianghu warriors. For the last several years I have wandered to the east and journeyed to the west; Father has never forbidden me."

Hearing the words 'Father has given me the authority to command the Jianghu warriors' Zhang Wuji's heart was moved, "My journey to the 'bing huo dao' to fetch Yifu might take years or at least months," he thought. "Supposing she is executing the luring-the-tiger-to-leave-the-mountain trick, then she might launch a large scale attack on my Cult while I am gone. But if she goes with me, her subordinates might lose command and spare me unnecessary worries over those I leave behind." Thereupon he nodded and said, "Very well, I'll come and get you when it's time for us to leave."

He had not finished speaking when suddenly they saw bright red light from beyond the window, followed by a faint clamoring noise of commotion coming from a distance.

Zhao Min went to the window to take a look. "Aiyo!" she cried out in alarm, "The Wan An Temple Pagoda is on fire! Ku Dashi, Ku Dashi, come here, quick!" She called out several times, but Ku Toutuo did not answer. She went to the outer hall but Ku Toutuo was nowhere to be seen. She asked the waiter and was told that that Toutuo went away as soon as they arrived; he did not even sit down, and he had left for a long time. Zhao Min as astonished; suddenly she recalled his strange smile earlier and could not help blushing. She lowered her head and stole a glance toward Zhang Wuji.

Zhang Wuji saw the fire was getting bigger by the minute; he was afraid his Da Shibo [first martial (older) uncle] and the others' internal strength had not recovered and they died inside the burning Pagoda. "Miss Zhao," he said, "I have to go!" Before finished speaking he had rushed out the restaurant.

"Wait!" Zhao Min called out, "I am coming too!" But by the time she reached the door, Zhang Wuji had disappeared.

.o0o.

When Ku Toutuo was taken away by the Princess, Lu Zhangke decided to take Concubine Han into his disciple, Wuwang Apu's room. The Wan An Temple Pagoda had a total of thirteen floors, so the total height was about thirteen 'zhang's [1 zhang is approximately 10ft or 3.3m]. The top three floors were consecrated to house the image of Buddha, Buddhist literature, and other religious articles; nobody could stay in these floors. Wuwang Apu was in charge of guarding the Pagoda, so he occupied a room in the tenth floor; from which he could see all around and thus had a better control over the overall situation.

As he entered the room, Lu Zhangke told Wuwang Apu, "Go and guard outside the room, don't let anybody enter in." As Wuwang Apu went out the room Lu Zhangke immediately closed the door, untied the bundle to let Concubine Han out. Her beautiful face showed both shocked and hurt expression; her sad eyes were pleading. Lu Zhangke quietly said, "Now that you have arrived here, you don't have to be afraid. I will treat you well."

He did not want to unseal her acupoints yet, fearing she would cause a commotion. Thereupon he gently laid her down on Wuwang Apu's bed, pulled up a quilt to cover her up; and then took another cotton-quilt to replace the bundle and set it aside. With Concubine Han safely tucked in the bed Lu Zhangke started to attend to other businesses. He did not dare to stay inside the room for too long; he went out hurriedly, forbidding Wuwang Apu from entering the room or allowing others from doing so. He knew his main disciple had always regarded him with respect and fear, so it was unlikely for him to disobey his master's order.

Lu Zhangke thought, "I need Ku Toutuo to help me keeping the secret. If I want to win his favor, I must rescue his old lover and his daughter first. Luckily the Cult Leader of the Devil Cult made such disturbance last night, precisely over that girl by the surname of Zhou. I can always put the blame on him by saying the Devil Cult's Jiaozhu rescued Old Nun Miejue and Miss Zhou. Truly the Heaven is on my side; Junzhu will not suspect anything. This little devil head's martial art is superior, Junzhu cannot blame us from failing to stop him."