Soaring Down From A Hundred-Foot Pagoda Part 4

Captain Ha cast a sidelong glance toward He Biweng; he wanted to take an action, but lack the courage to do so. He felt strange to suddenly see Ku Toutuo open his mouth and speak, but the evidence in front of his eyes was that Lu Zhangke and Concubine Han were wrapped together in one cotton quilt. Besides, he had already had some previous suspicions, so in his heart was 90% believed what Fan Yao said. "Ku Dashi, please get down," he loudly called out, "Let us go together to the Prince and sort this thing out. The three of you are senior masters, Xiao Ren [lit. little/lowly person] does not dare to offend any of you."

Fan Yao was very bold and he thought that while he went to the Prince's palace to sort out right from wrong, the prisoners would have had enough time to recover from their poisoning. "Wonderful! Wonderful!" he called out immediately, "I am just about to go to Wangye to receive the reward. Captain, Sir! Please look after this Old Man He, don't ever let him escape!"

While he was still speaking suddenly they heard sound of hoof beats, a rider was coming fast toward the temple, straight to the Pagoda. The surrounding warriors immediately bowed to pay their respect, "Xiao Wangye! [Young Prince]" they greeted.

From the Pagoda looking down Fan Yao saw that the crown on this person's head glittered under the flame light. When he was dismounting from a big and tall white horse, Fan Yao noticed that that person was wearing an embroidered gown. He was none other than the Ruyang Prince's crown prince, Kuku Temur, whose Chinese name was Wang Baobao.

"Where is Concubine Han?" in stern voice Wang Baobao asked, "Fuwang [father king] is extremely angry; he ordered me to come over and investigate."

Captain Ha stepped forward to give his report; he said that Lu Zhangke and Concubine Han did indeed in the temple and were currently in Ku Toutuo's hands. He Biweng hastily said, "Xiao Wangye, don't listen to this rubbish; that Toutuo is a spy, he frames my Shige ..."

Wang Baobao raised his eyebrows and called out, "All of you, get down here to talk!"

Fan Yao had been serving in the palace for a long time, he knew Wang Baobao was very astute and competent; he was not inferior to his father. Fan Yao might be able to deceive others, but it would be difficult to hide the truth from this young prince. If he went down, the young prince might be able to see through his scheme in just a few sentences. Then if the young prince ordered the warriors to besiege him, He Biweng alone would give him enough trouble, making it difficult to escape, not to mention rescuing the imprisoned heroes on the Pagoda. In loud voice he said, "Xiao Wangye, I have Lu Zhangke in my hand. His Shidi [martial (younger) brother] hates me to the bones. If I came down, he would surely kill me."

"Just get down quickly, Mr. He will not kill you," Wang Baobao said.

Fan Yao shook his head and shouted, "It is still safer for me to stay on this Pagoda. Xiao Wangye, for all my life Ku Toutuo has never spoken; today the circumstance has forced me to open my mouth. I am doing it all to repay Wangye's kindness to me. If you don't believe me, Ku Toutuo would rather jump into the ground to meet my death to show my loyalty to you."

Listening to him, Wang Baobao knew that 70, 80% of what he said was nonsense; so it was obvious that he was trying to stall. In a low voice Wang Baobao asked Captain Ha, "What conspiracy is he in? He is deliberately stalling. Is he waiting for someone to come?"

"Xiao Ren does not know ..." Captain Ha replied.

"Xiao Wangye," He Biweng cut him off, "This bandit Toutuo has stolen my Shige's antidote; he must be planning on rescuing the rebels imprisoned in the Pagoda.

Wnag Baobao realized it immediately. "Ku Dashi," he called out, "I know your loyalty. Quickly get down here; I am going to heap rewards on you."

"My legs were kicked by Lu Zhangke earlier," Fan Yao said, "Both legs are broken. I must not move now. Xiao Wangye, please wait a moment, as soon as I can move, I'll come down immediately."