"I like em'" I added, bumping shoulders with Daryl, just happy he was back.

"All right."

"It's gonna mean a lot to them. Bringin' him back. Burying him," Michonne referred to Jesus' lifeless body draped over Oliver.

"Sorry I couldn't do that for you," Daryl spoke up, referring to Rick. My heart pumped faster, and I gripped Daryl's arm, thinking of our fallen leader who had been in my life for so long.

"I'm sorry I couldn't do it for all of us. Thank you for trying to find him. And for after," Michonne gave Daryl a half-smile, and he patted her shoulder and gave me a light squeeze as I wiped my eyes.

Archer began barking furiously at a herd that walked slowly beside us through the forest.

"We got some tails," Magna spoke from atop her horse.

"The living kind or original recipe?" Eugene questioned.

"Let's find out. Good dog," Daryl said, and we began walking towards something we weren't familiar with. We never would be again.

Daryl and I stood beside each other with our weapons bared at the end of the bridge. A small group of walkers stumbled towards us, and it was impossible to tell humans from a walker.

Daryl seemed to have that covered, sending an arrow flying into the leg of a walker who didn't even flinch. I sent the second one flying, but a yell erupted from him, and I jumped. He was human. The walkers silenced his screams of pain, and Yumiko and Magna came up behind us, readying their weapons.

The remaining two walkers but now deemed humans turned around and tried to make a break for it, but Michonne had that covered too. She easily killed the person running at her, leaving only one left who pulled out their knife.

"Drop it!" I yelled, running up to them as they dropped to their knees.

Daryl stepped forward and removed the mask, leaving not just a girl but a teenaged girl. She looked terrified, and my face softened but only for a moment. If she was sick enough to play this game, then I had no mercy for her.

"Please don't kill me. Please," she begged.

"How many?" Michonne demanded, holding up the walker skin.

"Please, you killed them all. It's just me now," the teenager whimpered, and I didn't believe her for one second.

"I don't believe you," Michonne voiced my thoughts, and I studied the young girl's dirtied face. I looked like that at one point—sacred, alone and dirty, willing to do anything to survive. I shook my head, and Daryl spoke up, noticing the oncoming walker herd.

"There ain't no time. We'll take her with us. Get up," I looked at Daryl with a surprised expression. I was sure they were going to kill her on the spot.

"Hey! You try anything; you won't have to pretend," Michonne shoved the skin into the teen's face, who shook with fear, and I held her arm. It was time to go.

"Let's go. Come on," Daryl ordered, and we all followed.

***

I began to feel a bit better as I held onto Daryl tightly, who rode into the hilltop on his motorcycle. The young girl sat with tied hands and a blindfold on top of one of the horses which Michonne led, and Aaron led Oliver, who carried Jesus.

That feeling of slight comfort instantly diminished as I saw the faces of many Hilltoppers drop and twist into different emotions at the sight of their dead leader.