Jet Black Heart - Kim Mae

(originally by 5 Seconds of Summer)

Lyrics:

Everybody's got their demons
Even wide awake or dreaming
I'm the one who ends up leaving
Make it okay

See a war I wanna fight it
See a match I wanna strike it
Every fire I've ignited
Faded to grey

But now that I'm broken
Now that you know it
Caught up in a moment
Can you see inside?

'Cause I've got a jet black heart
And there's a hurricane underneath it
Trying to keep us apart
I write with a poison pen
But these chemicals moving between us
Are the reason to start again

Now I'm holding on for dear life
There's no way that we could rewind
Maybe there's nothing after midnight
That could make you stay

But now that I'm broken
And now that you know it
Caught up in a moment
Can you see inside?

'Cause I've got a jet black heart
And there's a hurricane underneath it
Trying to keep us apart
I write with a poison pen
But these chemicals moving between us
Are the reason to start again

The blood in my veins
Is made up of mistakes
Let's forget who we are
And dive into the dark
As we burst into color
Returning to life

'Cause I've got a jet black heart
And there's a hurricane underneath it
Trying to keep us apart
I write with a poison pen
But these chemicals moving between us
Are the reason to start again

The blood in my veins
Is made up of mistakes
(To start again)
Let's forget who we are
And dive into the dark

________________________________________________________________________________

The backstory:

Mae was had complex emotions and thoughts. She had everything she made planned and written with all of her emotions and thoughts put into it. She shared her genuine feelings with songs like this. She struggles with lots of things that she hasn't gone into full detail in but she's scraped the top of it, sharing what she could without sharing too much. This song, after Heavy, is one of her more raw songs where she poured in all of her emotions. When writing this, she wasn't in the best place and often locked herself away from the others.

When Namjoon, Jimin, Yoongi, Taehyung, Hoseok, Jungkook, and Jin first heard this song, it broke their hearts to hear how down she was. They now always make sure to check up on Mae no matter what. They always make sure that she is okay and are willing to listen to her if she needs to talk to someone, busy or not.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mae first performed this song live on their Wings Tour it was the first time she also openly discussed this about herself. On Burn the Stage, the seven were asked what it was like to watch her perform it.

"I remember watching Mae walk up to the center of the stage and sit down, she was definitely nervous and we all could tell. We were all surprised that she sat down but we knew she knew what she was doing," Jin started on Burn the Stage.

"We all made sure she was 100% sure she wanted to it because she was debating on weather or not she should do it. Before she walked out on that stage, we all made sure she was certain but she pushed through it, even though it was hard," Namjoon added.

"Watching her walk out onto that stage made me anxious for her. I didn't expect her to sit down for that performance but she did. I remember asking her why she sat down and she just shrugged and said that she wanted to be comfortable," Yoongi said.

"The night before Mae got little sleep because of how scared she was. I kept telling her that if she didn't want to do it than she shouldn't but she just insisted that this was something she absolutely needed to do. I think the night before she got 3 hours of sleep," Jungkook said.

"When she walked out we were all watching, no matter what we were going to watch her perform. Next to her song, 'Heavy', this was one of the only times she went out onto the stage alone and she hated being the only one there," Hoseok commented.

"In the middle of her performance I remember hearing her pause and our hearts stopped. I ran out onto the stage with Jungkook and we both sat down next to her and continued the song with her, it broke our hearts to see her crying," Taehyung said sniffing as he thought back to the moment.

"After Taehyung and Jungkook went out we all followed and sat down with her and helped her sing, even Yoongi hyung joined in. At the end I walked over to her and wiped her tears away and made sure she knew how proud of her we all were," Jimin ended.

"Walking out onto the stage was hard, I hate being the centre of attention but here I was walking out onto the stage alone in front of thousands of people. My nerves spiked hearing the beginning play and for a split second I forgot the words until I took a deep breath. I honestly don't know why I started tearing up but that happened and I don't think I would've been able to continue if the guys hadn't come onto the stage with me. I remember feeling a boost of confidence when they all joined me. I don't think I'd ever want to leave them, they're my family and I love them so much. I can't tell them how much I appreciate them for being by my side," Mae ended her interview.