Chapter 30

B I G G A M E

Sam's POV

On a side note, the very next day, Calum had a big ass football game. If his team won, he could be offered scholarships and even get to take a trip to Brazil for trailing. It was all very exciting for him. The only problem with the whole Brazil thing was the band. What would happen to the boys if Calum left? They couldn't continue without a bassist and singer unless they found another one. At this point in their careers, they couldn't waste the time to try and find another bassist. Even if Cal was still learning, it was still best for him to have the job. Plus, they were all best friends, even though I caused a slight divide in the band.

Apparently Luke was driving with me, and Ash was meeting us there after picking Michael up from his house. The whole thing was so crazy to me, it was all happening so damn fast.

I didn't really know what to wear to an event like this, but I figured jean shorts and a crop top with converse would be suitable. After all, it was outside. As I was applying my makeup, a ring at my door made me jump so bad that I poked my eye with mascara. Quickly, I balled up toilet paper and held it on my watering eye as I walked downstairs and opened the door. Of course, it was none other than my boyfriend.

"Hey, Luke. You totally didn't just make me accidentally blind myself." I laughed, letting him in. He shoved his hands in his pockets as he walked into the room. He wore shorts, which looked too short for his long legs, along with a blue tank top. It looked old, so I assumed it was hand-me-downs. To top it off, he had a pair of lime green aviators on his head.

"I'm sorry," He sounded genuinely guilty. "How are you feeling?" He then proceeded to ask, referring to the day before. I just shrugged and grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the stairs.

When we got upstairs, he sat on the edge of my tub while I fixed my mascara and finished with my makeup.

"You slept okay?" He asked, twiddling his thumbs in his lap.

I nodded, "Yeah, just fine."

Luke didn't buy it. He shook his head and let out a sigh. "Are you going to school tomorrow, at least?"

"Depends how I feel tomorrow morning." I responded shortly. Honestly, I didn't really want to go, but for Luke's sake, I gave him a bit of hope.

"We need to get going." He changed the subject yet again, shoving his phone in his pocket and standing up from the edge of the tub. I didn't like when things were cold between us, but they were for some reason. Maybe Luke was afraid of upsetting me.

Either way, I grabbed his hand and he led me out of my room, downstairs, and out to his car. Of course he drove us there since I didn't know the directions and wasn't familiar with the area around Ashton's house.

It only took around 15 minutes to reach the football fields. I couldn't believe my eyes. The parking lot was overflowing with cars. It seemed like the whole city was there to watch this big game. It was super important and so exciting.

After searching for awhile, we found a spot by a group of big oak trees in the grass. I hopped out of the car and Luke put his sunglasses on. I didn't have a pair, so I jsut squinted as we walked up to the field.

The bleachers were completely full. It looked like the student section of a high school american football game. Utter madness. It would be impossible to find Ashton in a crowd like this. To be honest, it made me nervous. I let out a huff as Luke guided me to the bench where Calum sat. I saw Michael in a wheelchair next to him, Ashton standing behind with his hands on the wheelchair handles.

Luke and I raced to them. I threw my arms around Calum's neck, giving him a little congratualtory/good luck hug. He laughed and I saw Michael and Ashton smiling as well. Luke came and stood beside Ashton, making small talk.

It wasn't long before the whistle blew, singalling the game was going to start soon. Ashton wheeled Michael towards the bottom on the bleachers. Luke and I followed, hand and hand. By the time we reached the spot that was basically reserved for Michael, Calum was out on the field, racing around with his teammates.

By the time the game was only a few minutes from ending, it was looking like Calum's team was going to win. The three boys and I were so involved, yelling and booing whenever things would happen in the other team's favor, then clapping and cheering when things would happen in Calum's team's favor. The clock was winding down, Cal's team was a point up. The other team had the ball and kicked it down the field. It was crazy, my nerves were heightened.

One player, a bleach blonde boy who was super muscular and a man bun, punted the ball towards the goal. It didn't look like anyone was going to stop it, the goalie was on the complete other side and wouldn't be able to make it in time. Then, out of nowhere, Calum jumps and kicks the ball away. The match ends as half the crowd boos while the others cheer. Calum won the game for them. It was a proud moment.

The team rushed onto the field, surrounding Calum and raising him up. Gatorade gallons were dumped over everyone's heads, it was chaotic.

After everyone settled down, an ecstatic Calum came jogging over to us. He bent down and hugged Michael first, then Luke, Ashton, and I wrapped him up in a group hug.

"Hey guys!" One of Calum's teammates called to us, walking over and smiling. "There's a party at Connor's house later. You should come."

"Sounds great. We'll be there." Calum responded, flashing a smile at the four of us. "Guess we're going to a party."

* * *

We all arrive at the party in a group. Sadly, Michael couldn't go. He had to go home and lay down because going out still takes a toll on his body. The party is like none other I've been to before. People are literally everywhere. There's got to be at least a thousand people here.

"This is gonna be sick," Ashton says, leading the way up the lawn of the frat house. He disappears into the crowd of people that swarm the house. Calum follows him, but Luke stays with me this time. I'm so grateful he does because I'd probably have a panic attack if he wasn't with me. I swear, I see Bruce in a crowd of people, just staring at me.

I grip Luke's arm, "Sam, what's wrong?" He asks, "Is he here?" His voice is quieter now, his hand on my lower back protectively. I let out a sigh and look into his eyes.

"I don't know, I thought I did, I could just be hallucinating." I speak softly, my voice strained.

"Should we get out of here, then?" He asked, looking around.

"No no, I'll just sit here. You got have a drink with Ash and Cal. I need to do this for myself." I tell him, patting his shoulder. "Go on, silly." To convince him more, I smile.

He walks away willingly, but I can see the hesitation. Then, I'm left alone and shake my head, running my hands through my hair. I hope I don't look too stressed out. My eyes dance around the room, searching for Bruce's face. For awhile, I watch Luke, but then he disappears and I start freaking the fuck out. Not even ten seconds after he disappears, I swear I see Bruce walk by, but then he disappears.

Then I feel a hand cover my mouth, another grabbing me and lifting me up. The strong arms are too hard to fight, everyone thinks we're playing, or they just don't notice. He carries me outside and the next thing I know, I'm being put in the back seat of his car, a pillowcase over my head and my arms being restrained. I kick him in the gut and attempt to crawl out, but it's no use. He pushes me down and locks the car doors. I'm defenseless in the backseat of this creep's car.