Chapter 9

O N E W E E K L A T E R

Sam's POV

During our last class of the day, Luke texts me, extremely excited about tonight. I am too, because this is my first out-of-school interaction with anyone since like, preschool.

me: i might be a bit awkward, you know, being the only girl and all.
luke: you'll be fine, calum and michael are like, so gay for each other. it's so funny. you'll see, but don't worry, you'll have fun. we're fun people.
me: yeah sureeeeee lucas.
luke: we are i swear!

Right after Luke sends the message, he turns around and mouths "I swear!" at me, causing me to have to conceal my laugh with a cough.

For the rest of the period I think about how I'll be like, 5th wheeling tonight. I want to trust Luke's reassurance but I don't know if I can. I mean I don't know if we're even true friends. It'll take some time to trust him and believe he's my friend for me, not Ashton.

About 5 minutes before the final bell rings, I get a text from Ash. It catches me off guard, but in a good way, because I hadn't talked to him in a day, which was weird for us.

I stop replying because the teacher announces there's about two minutes of class left and we should pack up our stuff

I stop replying because the teacher announces there's about two minutes of class left and we should pack up our stuff. I got lucky this year with her, she always lets us pack up instead of making us wait until she's finished. Luke stands up and sits on my desk, his bag on his shoulder.

"Hey, you ready for tonight?" He asks, a large smile spread across his face, showing off his single dimple.

"Hell yeah, we gon' get turnt as fuckkkkkk!" I say, making my American accent more prominent. Luke looks at me like I'm the most embarrassing person on the planet. I don't blame him. I actually am.

"I'm kidding," I laugh at Luke as he hears me say this, his shoulders relaxing and a fairly loud sigh escaping his lips.

The bell rings and we hurry out the door, attempting to contain our excitement.

* * *

It's 6:00, and my nerves are almost getting the best of me. It's not that I'm scared of being with the boys, I'm scared of being the odd one out. I'm going to be the only girl and sometimes that's scary.

I shake it off as I slip on my shoes and open the door. It's just going to be loads of fun. I just have to remember that.

I begin the short walk, hurrying across my yard and into Luke's. When I reach his front door, I exhale, my nerves making me increasingly nervous. I lift my hand and ring the doorbell, wanting Luke to open it as fast as possible. I'm the first one here.

He opens the door, a large smile on his face showing off his dimple again and very white teeth. His hair is pushed a little bit farther to the side so now it's over the side of his face.