Chapter 24

L E T ' S P R E T E N D

Sam's POV

Yesterday was both good and bad. I upset Ashton, probably destroyed him inside, but I know now that Luke is mine and I am his. That is the only thing that's been comforting me all day at school.

At the end of the day, Luke asks me if I want to come over. I tell him no, simply because I have a lot of makeup work to do. Thank God he doesn't question it. I had recieved and done all my makeup work while I was at Michael's yesterday, but I just wanted to be alone today. No one had heard from Ashton after he left Michael's.

My pointless texts probably weren't helping. But I couldn't help it. I wanted him to know how sorry I was. It was killing me. He had just told me he was doing better and I had to go and ruin it. He was the one who was so kind to me all that time. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't know Luke like this.

It was 4:00. I was sitting in bed where he had came to save the day after Luke shattered my heart and admitted to sleeping with another girl. Luke and I weren't even together, but I was upset, and Ashton understood. He never left my side. He held me together when I wanted to fall apart.

I look down at my phone, and just as I do, a text pops up from Ash. Immediately, I pick it up to read it.

And with that, he sent me an address

And with that, he sent me an address. I had no idea where it was, but I got up, threw on a jacket, and ran outside to my car.

Next thing I know, I'm driving like a maniac through the woods on a dirt trail that's somehow mapped by google. All I can hear all leaves and sticks breaking under my tires, and for awhile I'm scared it'll pop a hole in my tire or somehing and I'll be stranded and die, but then I am greeted by a clearing. The ground starts going up, and suddenly I find myself on a hill.

I get out of my car and take in my surroundings. On one side of me, you can see the outline of the Sydney skyline, and on the other is the ocean, a small beach at the bottom of the hill. Behind me, forest. It's slightly windy being up a little higher than normal, but it's so pretty.

I look around and spot Ashton and his car. He's sitting on the ground a few feet from the car, curled up in a ball with his chin on his knee.

"Ash!" I call, walking quickly over to him. His head lifts from his knee and he looks at me, sighing in relief.

"Thank God you're here." He says breathlessly, standing up and wiping his eyes. Instantly, I wrap my arms around him and pull him into a hug. He just starts crying again. I'm not even sure what the hell he's crying about, but I hold him anyway till he's calmed down.

"I'm sorry, you shouldn't be having to do this." He speaks softly, slipping from my arms.

"Ash, wait, what's wrong?" I ask, grabbing his wrist to prevent him from drifting farther away from me. He just shakes his head.

"Tell me, come on. You've been there for me, it's time for me to be here for you." I tug his wrist toward me, making him come closer. He sighs, looking down at me. His eyes are clouded over. They don't look like his.

"My mum doesn't love me. She only cares about the guys who give her the most little bit of attention. I always have to care for my siblings. And worst of all, the girl I gave everything to, chose my best friend over me." He admitted, his eyes moving away from mine immediately when he said the last bit.

"I'm sorry," I swallowed hard. "I'm sure your mom appreciates what you do and realizes she couldn't do what she's been doing without you. And how important you are to her life. Speaking of being important to someone, you're very important to me. I said yes to Luke because you're my best friend, and I don't want to lose my best friend if something goes wrong." I explain, biting my lip after as I try to gauge his reaction.

I get nothing in response besides a little sigh. He looks up at the sky and then back down at me, his eyes looking more like his as he calmed down. And then, I felt his hand on my cheek. Before I knew it, he was pressing his lips to mine. Ashton was kissing me. Right when my brain processed what the fuck he was doing, I pulled away, also letting go of his writst.

"I-I'm sorry," He ran a hand through his hair, realizing what he would done. "I just needed to do it, at least once. We can keep it a secret. Luke doesn't have to know. This never happened."

I shake my head. "I need to go, Ash. Stay safe." Just as I was saying that, he bit his lip and turned around to head back to his car. The kiss didn't mean shit. I didn't kiss back. This isn't cheating. Ashton kissed me.

Before driving again, I regained my composure and turned it on. Then, I found myself speeding all the way home. I ditched school the next day.