Chapter 11

O N E O N O N E

Sam's POV

Ashton and I completely stopped going on dates. He said it's best if we just stay friends. Ever since he told me that before he left my house after the sleepover, my crush on Luke had been developing.

"Luke stop it! I've got to pee!" I half-yell, prying my arm from his grip. He sighs and let's go, a silly smile spread across his beautiful pale face.

"Hey, do you know if we had any homework in maths?" He asks as I walk into the bathroom.

"No, I don't think so. Text Cal and ask because I'm not a 100% sure." I reply, doing my business and flushing the toilet. I turn on the sink, pump out some soap, and wash my hands.

When I exit, Luke's sprawled out on the couch, typing away on his phone with a smirk on his face. He exits whatever he was looking at as soon as he notices me approaching, which makes me a bit suspicious.

"Hey Luke?" I ask, sitting down on reclining chair in his living room. He looks over at me, his eyes bright from the sunlight that's leaking through the windows.

"Yeah?" He asks, a smile forming on his face.

"I miss Ashton," I sigh, seeping into the chair. His smile turns to a frown for a second but returns back to his wide grin in 0.63 seconds flat.

"What about me? I'm not good enough to hang out with anymore?" He pouts a little, looking at me with his sad, light blue eyes. They eat away at my heart, and eventually I give in to him.

"You are but I haven't seen Ashton since the sleepover. I've seen Michael, Calum, and you every day since the sleepover." I explain, laughing as I talk due to Luke's oh yeah I guess you're right look.

"Whatever, I'm better than him." Luke smirks as he looks at me. He gets up and walks over to the chair I'm sitting in and lays across me, his arms around my neck. This makes me giggle.

"Shouldn't it be the other way around?" I ask as Luke leans into me, closing his eyes.

"Fuck gender roles." He whispers, his messy blonde hair tickling my neck.

"Luke, you're such a princess," I tell him, giggling and causing him to smile very wide. For a second I consider maybe he's gay, and maybe I don't have a shot with him, because he seems more into his bandmates than any girl at all lately.

"Hey um, Luke?" I ask, stopping his laughter fairly quickly.

"Yes, peasant?" He questions, raising his head from my body and looking at me, raising his eyebrows.

"Are you gay? Or bi? I mean, it's nothing to be ashamed about and I support you if you are but I was just wondering because you seem to be in love with your bandmates and I've never seen you look at a girl the way you look at your band." I breathe out, partially scared of his answer. What if he is gay? That means I don't have a shot with him and while I'll be happy for him, I'll still wish he was mine. I mean, who wouldn't want him? No one.

"I look at you the way I look at them." He states, staring out the window of his living room. It's a cloudy but humid day out. Sometimes I miss the cold air of New York. But that's not what I should be thinking about. I should be thinking about what Luke said. He just told me he looks at me like he's in love with me.

"No you don't, you won't even look at me right now." I shoot back, frowning a little. He turns his head so our faces are extremely close, our noses almost touching. His eyes meet mine and scan my face and my heart starts beating really fast. I'm so scared that this is going to be my first kiss. I don't know if I want it to be with the boy was forced to be my friend a couple weeks ago.

"I'm looking at you now." He whispers, smiling a little, his blue eyes brightening a bit.

"Yeah, I guess you are." I chuckle, causing a wide smile to spread across Luke's cute face. Our small bit of laughter soon fades to silence, and we sit there, Luke across me, for a very long time.

* * *

I sit at home, all alone, with the lights out. I am so bored now that I'm home. Honestly, I really need a hobby or two, because this is ridiculous. I quit working at the cinema because the income was awful. Maybe one of the boys are up for a bit of fun. I know Luke's not. His dad got home and told him to do his chores and help with dinner then asked me (politely) to leave.

Maybe Ashton can. Or maybe I could go to his house since I haven't been there yet. If not I'll try Michael, then Calum. It's not because I don't like Calum, it's just he probably at football practice or at a game.

I pull out my phone and shoot Ashton a text. While I wait for a reply, I decide to think of things I can do in my spare time on the weekends. I've already considered getting a job, but that didn't work out well. Besides, I have enough inheritence money that I don't need to work for awhile. My parents were pretty loaded. I've also considered volunteering somewhere, but that's not my kind of thing. I'm not good at writing or drawing or any kind of art, so that's out of the equation. I'm also not very good at reading, so really all I can do is hang out with friends and binge watch netflix. And I've already watched all the good shows on netflix.

So basically, I need more friends.

A loud ding interrupts my thoughts, causing me to jump a bit, then scramble for my phone.

I get up and race upstairs, quickly fixing my hair and applying a bit of makeup. Then I change my outfit from sweatpants and a t-shirt to short shorts and a flannel. I swiftly run down the stairs and slip on my converse, then grab my keys, getting very excited about meeting Ashton's family and seeing his house.