3-16

Troubled me, that scene in the courtroom, the whole way to work afterwards. I was in a fog, trying to sort out my feels. What I wanted to do. If I wanted to do anything.

He'd got to me, Justice. And I couldn't just let go.

And then I opened the loading dock door to the Big Building like I always do--I park in the old warehouse garage across the alley--and these confetti cannons and and lasers and disco balls and things all went off like we were having our own private Fourth of July or something.

Now, the big space I always enter through was where we cranked up the new music, videos, games, whatever, for their first public test runs. So because it was always loud in there, I hadn't had the slightest clue that this time the noise was all about me.

Rocked me back on my heels, though, when I opened that door and this big mob of staff and local "artistes" started cheering and whistling. Reminded me of that prom, you know? All those big old "holy shit" surprises.

They hit me with this mariachi music, the way we do all the time here in Tucson. They'll hire a big old band to greet guests coming in or leaving parties and weddings and damned near any big celebration. Only this was no ordinary mariachi music, people. This shit rocked.

The band started out totally traditional. And then from a little stage 'way up front, Fixah took over and went all Trap on it with a clip he'd recorded on the spot, while they were playing the intro. I'm talking bass drop and all.

I wish you could've heard everybody scream when he kicked into that whole new gear and yelled, "How do you like that shit now, mutha fukkaaaaaaaz?"

I was just standing there in shock when Yoli came dancing out of the crowd--another surprise. I hugged her, and she linked arms with me and sort of danced me through all the party people who'd been in on this thing.

And I heard Fixah say, "C'mon up front here, boss man! We got a ring side seat for ya'! And lemme get my man Yoshi'n' the JCrew up here--everybody huddle up! Lez get it on!"

And sure enough, there were tables up by the little stage he was on.The tokidokis were already there, in full effect with their multicolored hair and clothes and big goofy grins. So was Wyatt. Looking a wee bit uneasy, but she gave me such a sweet smile.

I wanted to greet her, but the tokidokis came rushing at me the minute I got close enough to the table to fangirl all over me. And then I saw Yoshi go over to Fixah's mic.

He said, "Okay, so...everybody come this way now."

And the swarm came closer. Sat on the floor the way we usually did in there. There were folding chairs in stacks along the walls, but we almost never used them.

Once they'd settled, Yoshi looked down, gave me this really nice smile, and said, "We are here to clear up some confusion, before you leave us."

I had no idea what he meant by that. And he knew I wouldn't. I could tell by the devilish smile on his face.

"Someone told me the strangest thing the other day," he said. "About a conversation she had with you. Perhaps you remember?"

I shrugged. Still lost.

And he said, "I believe you said you weren't sure if you had really accomplished anything yet. Do you remember now?"

I did. In passing, though, I'd said it. On my way out of the door that morning, an aside, as they call it. Just, a little "I dunno, kiddo..." after I'd kissed her. Kendall. I hadn't really meant anything by it. Just that things were moving too fast for me to get a grip.