18

Just have a blast with your boy! And if you're not too tired after you party hearty, give 'im a vote!

I wish I had pictures of us getting out of that sedan because our faces were a dead giveaway that something was up.

In fact, the whole way over, Maurice kept teasing us about it. He even said almost the same thing her doctor said about how he was going to have to go find himself a "real fly tux for this wedding" real soon, probably.

But see, we were in that early stage that everybody kind of remembers and misses. You can tell by how they react to it when they see you in it. It takes them back to their first loves, those ones that sort of hover above all the rest like angels and can't be tarnished no matter how the whole thing went down.

I remember Mike talking about this girl she knew who sort of did her wrong in high school, but she remembers everything they did and how she felt and gets all lit up in the face when she talks about it because it was when she realized she was gay but also when she decided that it wasn't as scary as everybody made it out to be because if you really loved somebody you got really, really brave and would take on the world to keep it going.

I don't think everybody goes that far the first time. Mke's braver than most. But it does make a deep impression that makes you smile when you think about it. Everyone usually does smile, anyway. In my experience.

They smile and say something like, "Oh, man. Mary was her name. Wow, that girl. Wonder where she is right now?" And you can feel them floating back to those happy days for a minute.

So I knew it was amazing, that "first love experience." But I'd never had gotten all twitter pated before. And I'm quoting Bambi now, so you know we had it bad.

It was on a totally different plane, this thing with Kendall. Like all my circuits were buzzing. She'd just look at me and I'd get all...whatever. No, seriously, what do you even call that feeling?

Okay, no, not horny. It's different than that. You just know this is some serious soul music you're dancing to. And I wasn't quite ready for it, but at the same time I was starving for it, deep down somewhere. Couldn't get enough of that smile. The looks she gave me. Like she'd been starving, too.

Luckily, when we got to Mount Calvary, it seemed like everybody was sort of twitter pated. Not like me and Kendall, just over the holidays I general. All the little kids were running around squealing cause they couldn't wait to get to that rink.

And the adults were full of good cheer as they say in those old carols and whatnot. I didn't feel any of that tension that you get sometimes when church people are running something. No jealous or envious glares, nobody looking like they couldn't wait to find somebody to bitch about somebody else to.

Don't even front. You know that Christians can be the least Christ-like people on Earth in certain situations. Even on Sundays. At first, that was the only thing I enjoyed other than the choir which can jam, let me tell you. It's all I can do to keep still once they turn up full tilt.

So I'd focus on all the gossip and back biting going on in those pews, to keep myself respectful. It amazed me how mean spirited some of them could be, right at the foot of The Cross, right? And then have the nerve to throw their hands up and shout, "Thank you, Jesus" when the shouting started.