34

This is wish fulfillment for me, I think. Just once, I would love to walk into a posh shop and go nuts. With a little help from a very, very wealthy friend. I laughed my way through this one. I hope you enjoy it, too!

So this happened.

I picked up Kendall, who had taken a page from the queens and put a sort of garland of poinsettias in her curls for the day. With her little peasant blouse on, she looked like Wyatt's daughter. Cracked me up.

And as promised, we headed for the ritziest mall in town to see what Tiffany had to offer. It had stores we never thought we'd have 'til they built it over in the Foothills where the serious money lives. Designer ones you had to make appointments to go to, even.

Me and the girls had never gone there sort of on principal, I guess. They could've. Easily. In fact, it was the sort of place Rick would've taken them if they'd let him.

My first impression, though, was that they didn't have anything the girls or I would actually want to buy. And we do buy expensive stuff sometimes, I'm not gonna lie. I don't, but the girls do.

It rains Burberry in our house from time to time. They just throw a shopping bag at me and walk off all nonchalant. There's stuff in the closet that I haven't ever worn, but I'm glad I kept it. They always knew where we were headed, the girls. That just amazes me no end.

There was a Crate and Barrel we might've bought a few kitchen things from. And an Anthropolgie that had some things I wanted Kendall to try on.

She couldn't get past the prices, though, Kendall. The little dress I thought was so perfect, you should've seen her eyes when she saw it was $380. She didn't make a fuss, she just took it right back where I'd found it, took my hand, and walked me out of the store.

"Even if we can, don't," she told me. I mean firmly, too.

"Just this once? We'll never come back here, probably."

"That's how it starts. You do it once, it feels good..."

I one arm hugged her and said, "I feel you, Mami."

And she smiled up at me with her happy face on and said, "That's all I want."

Made me feel like I was walking on air, that woman. It was like God had been getting this perfect girl ready for when I was ready. I just hoped I really was. Ready, I mean. Cause I loved that happy face more than anything.

We strolled around, hand in hand in our own little world. The one all around us was too "hoity toity." I mean, if the royals ever came to Tucson, it would be the first place they'd be shown. Even before The Ritz, I think, because our Ritz is in a golf resort.

Half the stuff we saw...I didn't even know what it was. What you'd use it for. Or why you'd want it. Even the fancy schmancy little bakery didn't tempt me. The little cakes and whatnot looked like artwork instead of food.

When we stopped to just check it out, Kendall pointed to these little white chocolate tea cups with designs made out of different colors of icing so that they actually looked like china. They had mousse or something inside, with a strawberry "flower" on top.

"I'd feel guilty biting into that," Kendall said.

I said, "That says it all, huh?"

And she heaved a big sigh and said, "Let's get this over with. How far is Tiffany from here?"