Part 17: Stubborn

Start from the beginning

Panting, I ducked downwards in an attempt to get under his arms but his elbow got to me first, knocking me in the chest and down with a thump. I looked up at him and he was frowning again at me.

"That's enough no--"

"No! Again! Please Fenrir!" I begged, and stood up, picking up my wooden sword and readying my stance. I watched him sigh in frustration and hold his hands out, looking up at the sky as if to ask: why me?

"Alice, look. I know you want to get better. But we've been training for 7 hours straight." He sighed and dropped his sword in the dirt.

"Please, let's cool it for tonight."

I frowned and gave a heavy sigh of irritation. The thoughts of seeing Sirius so badly hurt, and all the other troops limping in pain home..I couldn't bear to stop now. I needed to get rid of Amon. Call me crazy, but I needed revenge. I needed to stop this crazy war...

"One more time Fenrir. Please?" I stepped towards him and put my hand on his shoulder. I tried my best to show how desperate I was to do this.. I needed to get stronger, now.

One look into my eyes and I could tell Fenrir couldn't resist. He gave another annoyed sigh.

"Darnit, Alice.." He bent over and picked up his sword.

"Alright, one more time. That's it."

I smiled and stepped back a few steps, then readied myself. This time, I wouldn't lose.

Fenrir focused his stance, but as he began to dart towards me, so did I. I saw his immediate surprise and continued to run at him, then when he dodged right, I did a full spin and swung into him, my sword attacking his left side. He blocked it with his, but I twined my right leg with his left, attempting to trip him. He suddenly hooked his arm around mine and pushed forward, making me trip myself, falling forward. I threw my sword out from under me and did a somersault then came back to my feet. I threw up my fists.

He smirked.

"Well done."

I gazed at him seriously.

"I'm not done yet."

I ran at him. He ducked and I vaulted over him, but as he came up he grabbed my shoulder and I fell once again on my behind. Fenrir was now behind me, one hand on my shoulder, with the wooden sword edge against my neck. I sighed in defeat.

"Lost again..." I frowned. This was so much harder than it looked.

I could hear Fenrir laughing from behind me.

"Your doing so well. You'll be able to beat me soon. Then it'll be Sirius' turn."

"That's funny." A deep voice rose from behind both of us, and Fenrir and I looked back, only to see Sirius walking slowly out from the gates.
Uh oh..

"You two are out here practicing to beat me? Hah, I doubt that'll happen." He chuckled softly.

I stood up and tried to inch behind Fenrir. I knew I was going to be questioned about this.

"Pftt, I can already beat you." Fenrir gave a nonchalant wave of his hand.

"There are more important questions. Firstly, it's after midnight. Why are you two not in bed?" Just like the father figure he always was, Sirius asked the most predictable question first.

I spoke up from behind Fenrir.

"I wanted to get more self defense practice." I spoke meekly, turning my head away. But in the corner of my eye, I saw Sirius frown.