Part 16: The Things I Must Do

(Thank you for all the votes and comments so far on my story! I am happy everyone is enjoying it :) )

The next few days went by without a hitch. I progressed through Seth's trials for sword fighting, and today I was beginning my second set of classes. I didn't yet know who my trainer was, but whomever it was going to be was already 10 minutes  late.

As I stood beside the gardens with my wooden sword in my hand, I yawned softly. The sun was beginning to warm the chill in the air on this cool autumn day. It was nearing the middle of November now, meaning soon the snow would start to fall. I hoped Sirius would be back soon from his stint on the front lines, and I also hoped this war would subside before Christmas time.

"I'm ready." A soft, meek voice muttered beside me, and I was shaken from my deep thoughts. I looked over and watched the man with long, purple hair pass by me calmly, stepping to his position a few feet from me. Once he was at his target distance, he shifted into battle stance. His bright, golden eyes were fixated on me.

"Luka.." I couldn't help but mutter in surprise and awe. Luka had always been so quiet and shy, but from a distance I could tell he was not only a skilled Army member, but a serious, well disciplined man.

"Are you prepared Alice?" I shifted my feet to one infront of the other and shook the thoughts from my head. I set my focus on Luka.

"I'm ready."

Within seconds he was infront of me, throwing blow after blow at my sword as I flailed back and forth, attempting to dodge. I was shocked at his speed, he was the fastest I'd seen yet. The fight was over in milliseconds as he pushed my sword back and tripped me, me falling back onto my behind and Luka thrusting the rounded point of his wooden sword to my chin.

The moment had been so heated, I found myself panting in anxiety.

"Checkmate." He muttered in that calm, dull voice, before holding his hand out to me.

"But...h-how?!?" Was all I could stutter as he helped me to my feet.

Luka looked down at me with that same curious look he always wore.

"Practice, and peace of mind."

I stared up at him, dumbfounded.

"......what?"

"Unecessary wonders on the battlefield are unaffordable distractions. Keep your mind focused on your goal." He picked up my wooden sword and handed it to me, before walking off to his position once again.

He was so serious. And so calm. I wondered if this training session was going to last forever at this rate..

I positioned myself at the ready and looked to Luka. He looked back at me. But before he charged, I watched him take a single deep, calming breath. When his golden eyes fixated on me, he nodded. His glance signalled me to do the same.

Surprised by his signal, I did so. I closed my eyes and re-focused my mind with a single deep breath. It cleared away the slow, familiar fears that were creeping up in the back of my mind.

Once I was done, Luka paused just a moment, before charging straight at me. I was shocked. His speed allowed him to change his strategy this time, and he approached me from the left, swinging a hard right above me and causing me to duck in panic. I swung my sword upward under his arms and he did a graceful back flip, then charged head on at me once again. Our swords collided and he pushed against me, causing me to cower just slightly under his added strength. I then ducked again and attempted to swing upwards but he was too quick; he looped his right foot around my left and tripped me again. I fell backwards with a girly squeak.