3. Virgil

I had a very bad feeling for some reason. I stood there in front of my bathroom mirror feeling completely out of place. I shook my head and unbuttoned the first few buttons of my purple dress shirt and sighed, resting my hands on the mirror. I can't do this. I don't understand how they can. I looked completely different. I looked like I belonged somewhere corporate. The Man... God, I hated it so much. 

I grabbed my makeup box faster than my mind could even keep up. I pulled out the black eye shadow and just fucked up the norm. I blacked out my eyes completely, full on raccoon. That's when I got the weird idea to do a skull. My skin was white enough anyway. After I was done with the eyes and nose I just dusted the black around my face like I was a dirty ass coal miner. That will keep people away... right?

If people see this and get scared they won't try to interact with me... right?

Not that they could even really see it behind the mask. I sighed grabbing my black lipstick and put it on. Might as well complete the look right?

"Virgil?" I turned around to see Caz standing in my doorway and I ran a hand through my hair. "You ready yet?"

"Not really... not emotionally anyway." He just frowned as handed me my mask off the desk. Caz was wearing his usual outfit too. His black and yellow vest suit that reminded me too much of the league villains from My Hero Academia. I watched as he pulled his yellow glove down a little fixing himself up and I groaned. "Fine, let's go." 

I put the mask on and grabbed my fedora before locking up my room and taking a deep breath to calm my nerves. Well, here we go again. I let go of the doorknob and walked beside Caz as we made our way to the ballroom. 

Walking in was enough to set off my anxiety again. The room was filled with all these people that I had no desire to deal with. All of Thomas's characters were required to participate. Meaning the side... cartoon therapy... the sanders shorts... To many Thomas's in one room. 

Caz was gone before I even walked all the way in. It's fine. It's normal for him. He loves these things. I don't. I pushed my way through to my usual hideout. It was just a small area behind the stage set up that no one ever goes too. I didn't really make it though. I froze up.

In order to get there, I had to go through the crowd. Too many people dancing about causing physical contact with those around them. I couldn't do it... so I stayed put. For the first time EVER at one of these parties. I didn't hide away. I was out in the open. I knew I had a bad feeling about something. I pushed myself against the wall trying to get as far from the crowd as I could. 

I spotted Logan real fast. It wasn't hard. He was wearing a suit and tie, with his tradition plain silver mask. His stance even gave it away. He was tense and stoic. I glanced beside him and smiled a little. Caz was standing there next to him just talking away like they were old friends. I've never seen him talking to Logan before.

I looked around and spotted this hyper man jumping around and I had to laugh. Patton always was excitable. He was wearing a light blue and white suit with a bow tie and a lacey blue mask. It actually fits him quite well. 

 I moved from my spot and walked over to the food stand overly aware at how close everyone was. I found it odd that I haven't spotted Roman yet. Usually, that pompous Princy is partaking in every possible part of the party that may prove how popular he is. He's always the loudest and he's always wearing his prince clothes. I've never seen him wearing anything else. His mask was even outrageous. I reached out for a water and froze as my hand brushed against another. We had reached for the same bottle at the same time. 

"I'm sorry. You take that one." I looked up to see this sad smile. He was wearing this clean white dress shirt unbuttoned but still tucked into his black pants, with a red undershirt and beautiful red mask. He grabbed a different bottle and held it up smiling. "I'll just take this one."

"Uh... Thanks." I took the bottle on the table still and frowned looking away.  I looked out towards the crowd and felt myself cringe. I really didn't like these things.

"You look uncomfortable." I glanced back over at the stranger and rolled my eyes. I thought this makeup would keep others from wanting to talk to me. I think it backfired.

"I didn't realize I asked for your opinion." I shot back slightly snarky and he just threw his arms up in defense. I sighed and shook my head. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean..."

"No, it's ok. I have a friend who does that... too..." His eyes darkened and seemed to deflate a bit. "Or well... I think he's a friend. I mean I am kind of mean to him and he says all these things back but... I thought it was our thing." He was just staring at the ground and I tensed up. I could see what was happening to him. I go through it all the time. "I could be wrong. We might not be friends. Actually, I don't even think he really likes me at all, now that I think about it." He looked away rubbing his arm awkwardly as he started to shake. "Sorry. Just ignore me. I'm being a party pooper right now. Way to go, Ro."

"Hey, why don't we step outside." He shot me this confused look and I awkwardly scratched the back of my head. "It loud in here and fresh air helps with anxiety."

"It does?" I nodded and he looked around before sighing. He looked back at me and nodded. I grabbed his hand hesitantly and carefully led him out. I smiled the moment the cool air surrounded me. Roe as he called himself, just hugged himself tighter looking back towards the building.

"It's ok, you know?" He looked back at me and I took my hat off running a hand through my hair. "I don't know why your so anxious but I won't do or say anything. I deal with it too, so I understand."

"I'm not usually so... open. It's..."

"Scary?" He nodded and I sat down in the grass signaling him to join me. "You feel like a live wire. Every look... every word... you scared of what others will think or say..."

"Is your hair ok? Are your clothes presentable? Did you remember to hand the notebook over?"

"Did you get enough sleep? Did you remember breakfast? Did you forget to lock the door?"

"Did you finish your work? Is your work even good enough?"

"Did you work too hard? Did you miss anything?"

"Did you do everything perfectly or..."

"...Will Thomas get hurt because you didn't?" I finished his sentence and we both just stared in each other's eyes. He was the first to break away. He looked up at the sky and smiled sadly.

"Will Thomas be proud? I... I-I can't let him down." I just stared at him in shock as he pulled his knees up and hugged himself tighter.

"I... I doubt you could actually let him down." He just laughed as he looked up at the stars.

"Fear isn't just something that logic and hope can just make disappear." Tell me about it. How many times has Logan and Patton tried to fight me over things? Patton never tried to do anything but he still did his part in keeping Thomas happy. Even if it meant going against me. Which isn't hard I am anxiety.

"You just got to think about it creatively." He started laughing again and I frowned in confusion. "I mean pool your thoughts into a hobby. That's what dad told me to do... even though creativity is not my department."