T H I R T Y F I V E

Barbara's POV: A few hours earlier

I notice his gaze divert from my eyes to my lips, before looking back into my eyes, his lips slightly parted. We stare at each other for a moment, before he leans in closer...

I freeze on the spot as I watch him inch closer and closer to my face, his stare locked onto my mouth. His hand reaches up and cups my cheek gently whilst he places his other hand firmly on my waist. I feel his breath on my skin before he finally connects his lips with mine, kissing me gently. 

I don't respond to the kiss, I stand there stiff as a board as I feel Jungkook's soft lips on mine. Why am I not kissing him back? Why can't I move? Damn it, Barbara, this is everything you've ever dreamt of! Do something! 

Jungkook pulls away, looking into my eyes with concern. "Barbara?" He calls me. I look at him with wide eyes as he calls me, pulling me out of the trance. 

"Are you okay? I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that... I-" He stutters, flustered. I feel myself relax slightly, allowing myself to come back to Earth and think clearly. 

"Ah shit, I'm really sor-" I cut him off as I grab him by the shirt, pulling him closer and suddenly crashing my lips with his. I can tell he's surprised, but I then feel his hand wrap around my waist, pulling me into him tightly and closing any distance between us. I throw my arms around his neck, tangling my fingers in his hair as the kiss turns from gentle and slow, to deep and passionate. 

I can feel his hesitation with his tongue, lightly brushing it over my lips occasionally. I tilt my head slightly to the right to deepen the kiss more, with him following my lead. I enter my tongue into his mouth, flicking the tip of his tongue with mine. As he mimics my actions, I let out a soft moan into his mouth. I feel his hands snake down my body, resting on my lower back, just a mere few inches from my ass. I take that as an invitation and run my hands down his shoulders and chest slowly, reaching down to his stomach, stopping at the hem of his pants. 

He quickly grabs my wrist, stopping my action as he pulls away. I furrow my brows in confusion as he looks at me with worry. 

"Are you sure? I know you're still hurting and I don't want us to do this and you think it's a mistake later..." He says, looking into my eyes back and forth. 

My frown soon turns into a smile as I wrap my arms around his back and hug him, burying my face into his chest. His low chuckle vibrates in my ear as he wraps his arms around me tightly, placing a soft kiss on my head. 

"I'm sorry." I mumble into him. He lifts his hand and places it on my head, caressing my hair. 

"What? There's nothing to be sorry for." He says, placing his chin on my head, lightly swaying us side to side. 

"Well, uh, I mean... I'm sorry I got you excited and chickened out." I say, trying to stifle a laugh as I feel his erection on my leg. 

"O-oh.." He chuckles embarrassingly and clears his throat, before subtly trying to reposition himself in the hug so I can't feel it.

He pulls away from the hug slightly, smiling sweetly at me, cupping my cheek with his hand and lovingly grazing his thumb over my skin. 

"Barbara, I-" I suddenly cut him off. 

"Wait! What time is it?!" I yell, moving away from him and fumbling for my phone. 

"Shit, It's 6:10pm. We should go." I say quickly, grabbing my things and motioning Jungkook out the door. 

Barbara's POV: Present time

"Can we talk about what happened between us?"  

I look at him with confusion. There wasn't really anything to talk about, from what I gathered from earlier, we came to an understanding that I wasn't ready yet. 

"About what?" I respond.

"I- I just want you to know that what happened earlier, I'd never regret it, Barbara. It'd never be a mistake for me. I've wanted to kiss you for so long. I'm just worried you think it's a mistake." He says, looking down at the floor. 

I feel my heart ache for him as I watch him fumble over his words. "Kookie..." I say with a sympathetic chuckle, walking closer towards him. I grab his face with both of my hands, forcing him to look at me. 

"I don't think it was a mistake. I never will." I say as I lean in and place a gentle, lasting peck on his lips. "And, even though I am still hurt, Taehyung and I talked. We're okay. I forgave him." I say, giving him a smile. 

"Really? That's great. It'll help you move on." He says, grabbing my hand gently. 

"I don't know if now is the right time, but I-" He stutters nervously. "I really like you, Barbara. I have since we first met. But we've grown a lot closer over the past few months and honestly, I've been so happy talking to you everyday, seeing you. Even if it's to come over and watch a movie with you. It's the highlight of my day." 

I don't say anything but pull him into a hug. "I've felt it too. But I have been suppressing it a little with what's been going on. I just don't want to rush into anything and it falls apart. Especially with you. I'm sorry." I say. 

"No!" He exclaims, grabbing my shoulders and looking me in the eye. "Don't apologise. I completely understand, I already told you that there's no rush. You take all the time you need. I'm not going anywhere... You mean so much to me, Barbara." 

"Ugh, why do you have to be so perfect?" I laugh, hugging him again. 

"You mean a lot to me too. I honestly wouldn't have got through any of this without you. Thank you so much." I mumble into his shoulder. 

**

Jangmi's POV

I'm sat on the couch conversing with some of our guests, sipping champagne and really enjoying the evening. I feel the seat next to me dip, I look to my left and see a sullen looking Tae. "Tae? What's wrong?" I ask him, turning in my seat to face him. 

"Jangmi, can we talk?" He asks in a low tone. 

"Of course, it's a bit noisy here. Wanna go outside?" I ask. He nods.

We make our way outside together, Tae following behind. "Come over here." I say, gesturing him to sit with me at the decking table. I rest my elbows on the surface and grab his hands, but he pulls them away.

"Jangmi... I can't do it anymore." He says slurring his words. Is he drunk? 

"Do what? What's happened?" I ask him, growing more confused. 

"I-It's so hard. It hurts, Jangmi. A l-lot." He says. 

"What? Are you hurt?" I ask. 

"Yes. I'm really hurt." He mutters. 

"Where? What happened?" I ask, scanning his body. 

"Here." He says, pointing to the left side of his chest. 

"Your heart?" I ask. He nods. 

"It hurts so much." He says, his voice cracking. 

"Tae, just tell me." I say.

"I love you, Jangmi. I love you so much, I've loved you since the beginning. And it hurts so much seeing you be happy with someone who isn't me." He says, tears falling from his cheeks as he breaks into tears. Low, deep sobs exit his mouth as he covers his face with his hand. "And I feel so selfish for it. Yoongi is my best friend, my brother and I feel like I'm stabbing him in the back." He cries, sniffling. "I'm trying really hard not to have these feelings for you. But it's just- It's so hard." He sighs deeply. 

"I- I'm so sorry. I-" I stutter. 

"It's not your fault, please don't say you're sorry. I took it too far at times too. Like a few months ago, when I touched you in the kitchen. I shouldn't have done that, I lost my self control." 

"You what?"