43: "I am the mole."

Santa Prisca

December 30, 17:57 ECT

    The Supercycle landed in the middle of the crescent island of Santa Prisca. Tall trees surrounded the empty clearing as Superboy hopped off Sphere, giving her a comforting pat.

    "Welcome, Superboy," Lex Luthor greeted, looking always sharp in his clean suit. He reached back and motioned forward a dark skinned woman with a golden headband. "I'd like to introduce you to my associate, Queen Bee."

    "My pleasure," the Biaylian dictator smirked in greeting.

    "I believe you know everyone else," Lex Luthor motioned to his fellow villains that crawled out of the shadows around him. "Sportsmaster, Mercy, Blockbuster, and our new friend, Bane—who allowed us use of this island in exchange for certain . . . considerations."

Bane and a mini army of his goons walked out from around, trapping Superboy in a tight circle. The Spanish man grinned and Superboy recognized him from their run in with the Cult of the Cobra.

"So, the Injustice League was just a distraction," Superboy realized. "You two have been behind everything from the start."

Luthor chucked, "A flattering notion, son, but we have many friends."

A whirling chop-chop-chop sound large blades cut through the air as a helicopter flew overhead, slowly landing on the soft grass, kicking up leaves and brush before powering down.

"This one of your friends now?" Superboy asked, his clothes flapping against his skin.

"No, my boy, one of yours."

The helicopter door slid open and a feminine gasp left the lips of the green-clad archer.

"Artemis?" Superboy's eyes widened.

Artemis and Cheshire got out of the vehicle together. Just hours before they were fighting each other during an ambush at a fallen plane when Cheshire tackled her out of the way of an avalanche. The blonde kept her head bowed down as they both came to stand besides Sportsmaster.

"The hero thing wasn't workin' out," Artemis said, her voice oddly even. "You get how it is, no trust." Sportsmaster's hand fell upon her shoulder. "This is where I belong."

"It's a fast growing club," Queen Bee said.

Above, a red plane arched overhead, stopping abruptly above. From the belly of the recognizable Bio-ship, the bottom opened up and a hooded Martian descended from the skies.

"Why are they here?" M'gann asked as her feet hit the ground. Her eyes flickering nervously between Superboy and Artemis. She turned on Queen Bee. "You promised!"

"I kept your secret and my promise," Queen Bee scoffed. "Now you keep yours."

M'gann's head fell in a nod.

"Good girl."

"Give me more shields and I'm in too," Superboy said. After his fight against Mammoth at the snowy cliff with the rest of the Team, he had used his last one.

Lex Luthor stalked forward, pausing in front of Superboy. Their eyes locked in a silent battle before Lex Luthor leaned back, grinning charmingly.

"My boy, you're a terrible liar."

Superboy's teeth barred at his bluff being called as he moved forward for a punch but two words paralyzed him in his tracks.

"Red sun."

Superboy's eyes twitched around, his muscles tensing as he his code word shut him down. He fought for a moment before leaning back, lose and eyes vacant.