Chapter 30 - Tag Your It

This chapter was inspired by the song Tag, Your It by Melanie Martinez. Feel free to listen as you read!

I waited out side of Ms. Ryder's office waiting for Derek. I mulled over everything. The sadness in Allegra's eyes, the abandonment she felt from her mom. My head was in a whirl.

"Hey, Kerry!" Derek's chipper voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him. "You ready to do this?"

"Yeah," I nodded. We walked into Ms. Ryder's classroom.

-------------------------

"First of all, I love this project idea! And I have the exact kit to help you." Ms. Ryder said as she rummaged through her closet. "I'm good friends with a DNA expert. Here's the kit you'll need. I can even get you access to their lab - I'm sure they won't mind some of my best students furthering their love of science - especially for a science fair."

"Wow, Ms. Ryder, you're the best!" I exclaimed.

"Thank you!" Derek chimed in.

"Absolutely, I'll just write that email now and-" she paused waving someone in from the door window.

I caught of glimpse of the man. Could my eye be deceiving me? Is it really

"Mr. Leto, nice to see you again."

Mr. Leto peeped his head though the door.

"Hey Ms. Ryder, thought I'd pop in. Allegra tells me you're interested in that little house on 27th and Glades Avenue.

"Oh yes, I  just didn't expect you to come to school."

"Well, I had to pick up Allegra anyway so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone." He winked.

Ms. Ryder shuffled the papers on her desk absentmindedly. Is she really blushing right now?

"Ms. Ryder, ?" I asked trying to avert her attention. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Her, like the rest, just fall right under his spell. Not my teacher, too.

"Oh right, Kerri and Derek, how about we finish this conversation tomorrow same time?"

"But you'll send the email?" I said trying to break her gaze from Mr. Leto.

"Yes, Kerri I absolutely will." She said nodding quickly, giving Derek and I our cue to leave.

"Oh Kerri, I can give you a ride home, if you don't mind waiting for a bit as I talk to your teacher" He turned to smirk at Ms. Ryder then back at me, rubbing it in my face.

"Sure, I'll be out side." I rolled my eyes.

As soon as we walked out the door, I could feel Derek tugging at my arm. "Kerri, isn't this a great time to ask Mr. Leto about being part of the project?"

"Good thinking Derek, will do. In the car."

Sounds great. I think this might be a winner." He said before pecking me on the lips. "I'll see you tomorrow and keep me posted.

I saluted him with a grin on my face and spun around to find no other than Mr. Leto starring at me.

"What's with the smile, Kerri?" He asked sarcastically, trying to stir the pot.

"That's what I should be asking you." I said to bite back.

"Oh, your teacher just needs some....help." He said suggestively.