Chapter 24 - Unpredictable

This chapter was inspired by Love is Madness by Thirty Seconds to Mars feat. Halsey. Feel free to listen as you read!

"Oh....uh...hey...Allegra...uhm..."

"Kerri, you're mumbling. I can't understand you." Her voice sounded annoyed. 

"Well, ya see, it's a long story. I'll explain when I see ya." I mumbled before hanging up the phone. 

Now to think of a good excuse when I got there. I treaded slowly down the street to her place. The blocks, trees and shrubbery all blur around me.

How could I be so stupid? So forgetful?!

I literally had no excuse. She saw me with my phone before I went to study hall. Ugh! Can this get any worse. 

I begrudgingly raised my hand to knock on the door, but it opened before I had the chance to knock. 

"Hey.." she cocked her head at me as I entered. She left the door open - perfect for a quick getaway. "So...?" she began. 

"Well, what it was is that I...I..." I was grasping at straws. My eyes flickered about her living room as I tried to find an excuse, a legit excuse, that is. 

"Because I totally remember you had your phone before study hall this morning. Did you like come over here after school or something?"

Oh God. There was no way out of this. The walls of her judgment were closing in on me by the second. "You see..." I took deep breath. I gotta come clean. I gulped and finally looked her in the eye. "I did!"

           "Did what?"

 "I did come over...to see your dad."

"My dad?" her hands rested on her hips as she questioned me.

            "Yeah." My heart throbbed in my throat, chocking me with every word I spoke. "Well, I came because-"

"She came over to check on me sweetie." Mr. Leto interjected. "...because of everything going on with the funeral." 

Mr. Leto is the official butt-saver in history.

"Rrright." I said slowly, seeing where he was going. "Even you said how messed your dad was from this funeral and I just stopped by to make sure he was okay."

"It was very sweet of you, Kerri. I'm was so glad she stopped byon her way home." He walked over to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. I stared down, hoping she'd buy it.

"Oh..." Allegra backed off believing the web of lies we tangled her in. "Well, here you go," she handed me my phone finally. 

Now to get out of dodge.

"Thanks, I'll see ya tomorrow then. Have a good night." I began heading out the door.

       "Wait, Kerri!" she stopped me. 

I turned to her, apprehension creeping up my spring again. "Let me walk you home. I have so much to tell you about... Ethan."

Ethan. I stared at her confused. 

Mr. Leto's perplexed face came into focus from the background. For once, we were in the same boat.

 "What's there to tell me about Ethan?" But before I could protest, she grabbed my arm and took me down her front porch stairs.