Chapter 27 - The Other Side

2 SURPRISES! - At the end of the chapter, I have revealed what Kerri looks like!  Surprise #2 follows. Hope you enjoy. Thank you for reading! And as always, please vote and comment - I love your feedback!

This chapter was inspired by the song "The Other Side" by Ruelle feel free to take a listen as you read!

"My Dad?" her face contorted in confusion until she followed my eyes beaming at the door to find Mr. Leto peeking in. "Oh, Dad! You're back!" she sighed in relief.

"I hope I'm not interrupted anything." Mr. Leto peeked his head in the door.

Nope, you're just saving the damn day. It's funny how you can cause so much havoc then in one night then return as the hero, Mr. Leto. I'm onto you though...

"You're finally back!" Allegra cheered as she got up to hug him.

"Good to see you sweetie. Just got in."

Liar.

"Anything interesting happen while I was gone?" he asked, almost innocently.

This man never stops.

Allegra and I shoot each other a look before we simultaneously chime "Nope."

A smirk spreads across Mr. Leto's face. "Well, exciting things can't happen all the time, can they?" He asked staring directly at me.

I don't believe I'm blushing right now. What the heck, Kerri?

"Shouldn't you two be at school?" his crystal eyes glazed over us with suspicion. 

"Nope, no school today. It's parent-teacher conferences, remember?"

"Oh gosh, Legra, you're right...I almost forgot."

My eyes narrowed at him. He never forgets. Does he?

"That's right. And I'll will be going with you because I have to guide the parents to their respective classrooms."

"Well, they'll be some lucky parents, then." he smiled. 

"Dawww!" I jeered before she playfully shoved me away from her.

"But what I didn't forget is that you have some chores to do and one is all the laundry you have to do downstairs young lady. There's two baskets of clothes that need to be folded and 3 loads that need to be washed right now."

"Aww, but dad, it's my day off! Plus...I have company," she emphasized.

"That doesn't get you off the hook. Kerri will be patiently waiting up here while you finish. Trust me, she's not going anywhere."  He said from the door frame almost proudly. 

I see everything he's doing. The isolation, the chores. He's absolutely brilliant at this game. 

Allegra huffs out conceding, "Fine, I'll do it in a minute." 

Okay, Legra, but I'm listening" he taps his ears as he disappears into the hallway.

She turns to me suddenly. "Alright, spit it out! Who was it in the bathroom with you?"

"It was...it was..."I can't seem to come up with any other name, I can feel the seconds crash in on me as the tick by slowly. 

"Allegra!" Mr. Leto called from the hallway. I knew he was overhearing. And suddenly, he was at that door frame again. "Whatever it is, I'm sure it can wait."