Chapter 2 - Not so Happy Go Lucky

I opened the door to find Mr. Leto. He looked concerned.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Kerri! I thought you were Allegra." He apologized jovially. The concern faded into a cheerful smile. He always won my award for "The Nicest Dad Ever," but that pales in comparison to his sex appeal. His gym shorts hung from his waist effortlessly as his white undershirt hugged his framed muscular body. His V-neck gave a nice sneaky-peek of his sculpted chest. He looked like one of those celebrities walking in Target, minding their business, trying to fit in, but Mr. Leto stands out every time.

"I was just finishing up," I replied as earnestly as I could, feeding my fake alibi.

"Oh take your time, Kerri. Didn't mean to interrupt, I just- ," he paused, "just thought I heard something." He smiled back at me, but there was something different than his normal smile.  It was sly, like he knew something. His eyes narrowed as he tried to read my expression.

My heart raced. There's no way he could know...I'm imagining this.

Mr. Leto pressed his hand against the doorframe, "You've been here the whole time, Kerri?" he questioned. The honeyed tone in his voice masked his concern but sent a jolt of fear into my body.

My mind wandered as I searched for the best response; drifting from him to his arm against the wall. I could count the muscles in his arm, so flawless and trim. A whiff of his cologne caressed my nose. I welcomed the sweet smell openheartedly.

"Kerri?" he spoke softly, as he stepped closer.

I looked up at him. His stare intensified as his curious blue eyes searched mine, beckoning me for a response. His gaze almost looked like a glare, but it was inviting at the same time.

A fire burrowed within me from a foreign place. It burned, but it felt good at the same time. "Ah...yep," I mustered, "just here getting ready for the movie downstairs." I tried to speak with certainty, but there was a crack in my foundation. If he stared at me any longer, I might break right here in the hallway.

"Oh, then let me get out of your way. I'm sure they're waiting for you." He stepped back to let me pass, his eyes on mine.

I could still feel his eyes on me as I walked in front of him. The hallway seemed to stretch for miles to get to the stairwell. "Yeah, I take forever." I said as I turned back to him before going down the stairs.

Mr. Leto chuckled. "Don't have too much fun down there!" And in an instant, he was that happy-go-lucky dad of the year again as he meandered his way down the rest of the hallway to his room.

"Hah, I won't!" I made my way down the stairs thanking God I didn't tank. That was so close! I exhaled a sigh of relief, but then I saw something in the corner of my eye. I looked up and almost froze. Mr. Leto didn't go to his room. He was still at the top of the steps staring down at me. The intense look back on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you like this one! Please vote and feel free to give feedback. So glad to see a lot of you want the story back!

Want more updates? Follow me here on Wattpad and on Instagram for updates!

Website on its way soon!

~ Cade