Chapter 14

Once Casey finished his autograph and photo session, a gingerbread guard ushered Jacob and his family into Casey's house.

"What were you two thinking?" Mr. Johnson said. "Do you have any idea how scared I was when you disappeared?"

Both boys apologized. "It was my idea," Jacob said. Nate tried to protest, but Jacob put up a hand to stop him. "We got bored, and I thought it would be okay for us to try to have some fun on our own. I didn't realize how scary it could be to lose someone."

"And I'm sorry for going to see Casey by myself," Nate said to Jacob. "I heard them announce that he'd be giving autographs soon, so I thought you'd follow me."

"I'm just glad you're both safe," Mr. Johnson said. "I'm going to have to ground you for the rest of the week, but I promise I'll make sure we have more fun together after your mom's turn with you. It's really hard for me to handle everything by myself, so the three of us are going to have work together to make sure everyone is happy." He turned to Casey. "Thanks for your help by the way. I wanted to make sure my kids got to spend time with you, but this isn't exactly what I had I mind."

"You're welcome," Casey said. "I've been looking forward to hanging out with you guys all day."

Nate's jaw dropped so low a bird could have flown into his mouth. "You can talk?!? Why do you sound so old?"

Casey laughed. "Because I am old! Now, which of you wants the first autograph?"

For the first time in ages, Jacob's smile was even bigger than Nate's. "Me!" he said. "But aren't you supposed to be done for today?"

Mr. Johnson winked. "I did say I had a surprise planned, didn't I?"

After Casey signed Nate's hat and Jacob's old drawing of him, they all got together for a group picture. Nate clung tightly to the plush Jacob won for him while Jacob wrapped his arm around Casey in a huge hug.

"I'm just going to send this to your mom before we head home," Mr. Johnson said after the photo was taken. He fumbled with his phone and managed to take a picture of his shoes as he struggled to figure out how to send a picture. "This might take a minute."

While his dad grumbled at his phone and his brother admired the drawings of Casey on the wall, Jacob took Casey aside. "Thank you so much for helping me find my brother."

Casey ruffled his hair. "It was the least I could do. Besides, I'm always glad to spend time with such sweet kids. I just wish this costume wasn't so hot so I could do it more often."

"Maybe I could be the new Candy Cat when I'm older. Then you could sell as much fudge as you want, and I could spend time with you every day."

"I'd like that very much," Casey said. "I hope you'll visit again soon."

"Me too," Jacob said. "It's safe to say I've got my sweet tooth back."