Chapter 3

Old-fashioned music droned overheard as the boat drifted its way down a river that looked like pink lemonade. Dozens of pennies and soggy love notes lay at the bottom. There wasn't much to look at in the long, damp tunnel outside of a few poorly lit scenes where Casey did all sorts of romantic stuff with an almost identical looking cat. If it weren't for Casey's blue fur looking so different from his date's pink fur, there was no way anyone could tell them apart.

"I'm so bored. I'd rather eat nothing but broccoli for a week than let Dad pick another ride," Nate whispered.

"Me too," Jacob glanced at his dad who sat in the front section of the boat humming along to the music. "This mushy love fest is even worse than those kiddie rides. We've gotta do something before he ruins the whole trip."

"Having fun back there?" Mr. Johnson asked. Before either of the boys could respond, he said, "Oh, look. Here comes the part where Casey proposes to his girlfriend using a ring made out of rock candy."

Jacob shivered, but not because the ride was cold and damp. That cat's soulless eyes freaked him out. "Why would anyone propose using food? It might seem cute now, but what if they end up having an argument once they're married, and she chomps off her ring?"

"If he really loved her, he'd give her a chocolate diamond," Nate said. "Chocolate tastes much better than rock candy."

Mr. Johnson chuckled. "Nate, chocolate diamonds are regular old brown diamonds. Trying to eat one of those would break your teeth. You boys do have a point though. This ride is pretty dumb." He sighed. "I guess I still like it because one of my sweetest memories happened here. This is where I proposed to your mom."

Jacob and Nate shared a look. Jacob started to say something, but the words caught in his throat as tears filled his eyes. Nate's voice cracked as he said, "If you still love her so much, why aren't you together anymore?"

"Well kiddo, sometimes someone can be a great person and an amazing friend but not the best wife or husband." He dabbed at his eyes with a handkerchief. "It's complicated."

As they neared the end of the ride, Jacob silently put his hand on his dad's shoulder.