Chapter 1

The cloyingly sweet smell of cotton candy filled the air at Casey's Candy Land, just like it had last time Jacob was there. Looking at the crowds full of people wearing all sorts of Casey the Candy Cat themed merchandise as they lugged around bags full of oversized lollipops and gummy bears made him sick to his stomach.

The only thing in the park that didn't make him feel like his teeth were rotting from the inside out was the infectious smile on his little brother's face as he eyed the rides. Nate's Casey hat mimicked him with a sweet-toothed grin despite its roughed up fur and its torn right ear.

"Alright boys," their dad said, "What do you want to do first?"

"I can't wait to see Casey again!" Nate said. "I hope I can add something to my collection too. I think I'll get a snow globe, or maybe a mini gumball machine." Nate rubbed his chin as he pondered the souvenirs. "Then again, Casey looks extra cool as a stuffed animal."

Jacob shook his head. "I don't understand why you like that cat so much. He's creepy." Jacob shuddered. "You couldn't pay me enough to use something with his face on it."

"Hey, Casey's not creepy! How could someone who made so many rides out of candy be creepy?"

"Settle down, Nate. Not everyone has as much of a sweet tooth as you do." Mr. Johnson put a hand on Jacob's shoulder. "There must be something about this place that seems at least a little fun to you though, right champ? I'm a sucker for the Sweethearts Tunnel myself."

"Well, there is the Caramel Coaster. They just opened it earlier this month." Jacob shrugged. "It sounds kind of cool."

"That does sound neat. We should definitely be careful about when we ride it though." Mr. Johnson burped and patted his full stomach. "I ate way too many pancakes this morning, so I'd better wait until I've had time to digest before I do anything too crazy."

Jacob gagged and waved his hand in front of his face. "We'd better avoid any spinning rides then. The last thing I need is to be covered in maple syrup."

Nate chuckled. "Yeah, that would put us in a sticky situation." He sighed. "I just wish Mom was here too. It feels weird to be here without her."

"Hey, if she wants to spend time with her lame new boyfriend instead of us, that's on her," Jacob said. He smirked. "That just means we have one less person to share our candy with."

"Hey, your mom and I may not be together anymore, but she does love spending time with you two. Things are kind of complicated for us right now, that's all." Mr. Johnson pulled out a map of Casey's Candy Land that was covered in circled attractions and notes. "I've got a day full of fun planned for us, including our usual picture with Casey this afternoon. Who knows," he winked, "there might even be a special surprise waiting for you this year."

Nate pored over the map and pointed out the rides he absolutely had to try. Jacob forced himself to smile even though the thought of standing next to that fiendish feline turned his insides into a quivering mound of Jell-O.