Chapter 6

The line to the Caramel Coaster seemed to stretch halfway across the park. However, unlike the Sweethearts Tunnel, this ride's wait was far less unpleasant. Instead of listening to couples gushing about each other, Nate and Jacob got to chat with other people who were just as excited to ride the amazing looking roller coaster as they were. As the boys looked up at the towering inclines, their hearts beat faster and their smiles stretched further across their faces.

By the time they reached the front of the line, Jacob and Nate could barely contain their excitement despite their aching feet. Unfortunately, that didn't stop an employee dressed in a gingerbread man suit from coming to spoil their fun.

"Wait a moment, boys," the employee said. He squinted at Nate. "I'm going to have to ask you to come stand over by the chart on the wall, please."

Nate stood as straight as he could against a painting of Casey that declared "You must be this tall to ride!". The top of his head just barely met Casey's hand.

"Hm." The employee glanced at Jacob. "Do you think he'll be able to handle it? He looks a bit young."

Jacob flashed him a thumbs up. "He's no marshmallow."

The employee looked back at Nate, smiling gently. "Are you sure you're up to this, kid? There's no shame in saying no."

"I'm not a little kid anymore," Nate said. "This ride doesn't scare me!"

"If you say so. I am going to have to keep that hat of yours in a locker though so you don't lose it on the ride. You can come get it back later." Once he locked away Nate's hat, the employee ushered the brothers onto the next cart.

"Thanks for sticking it out," Jacob said as they waited for the ride to start. "This wouldn't be as fun without you."

Nate smiled. "As long as I can see Casey's house from this thing, I'll be happy."

The ride grumbled as it started its slow climb up the first incline. Nate's eyes widened as the rides below grew smaller and smaller. By the time they reached the first peak, the park looked like a drawing on a placemat.

The cart zoomed down. Jacob and the rest of the riders screamed with joy as wind rushed through their hair. Nate inched his hand over to Jacob's. Even though his grip was so tight that his fingers left red marks on Jacob's hand, Nate kept smiling.

That smile lasted throughout most of the ride. Near the end, the cart chugged up a massive hill with a steep drop.

"Ooh, here comes the loop!" Jacob yelled.

Nate gulped.

The cart shot down the hill before entering a massive loop. As Jacob's world turned upside down, he caught a glimpse of Casey's house. "Look over there!" he yelled over the other riders' screaming as he pointed to the landmark.

But Nate didn't notice. He was too busy screaming so loudly his face turned as red as a tomato as tears flew down his face.

As Jacob escorted his brother off the ride, the other passengers gave him dirty looks. The employee returned Nate's hat to him before giving Jacob an I-told-you-so look. "I'd better call your parents," he said.

Jacob's heart skipped a beat. "Actually, Dad's waiting for us. We'd better get going."

Jacob rubbed Nate's back as he led his sobbing brother away. "Sorry, buddy," he said. "I know somewhere we both can have fun."