Chapter 7

On the far end of the park, dozens of candy vendors sold bags of overpriced candy. Jawbreakers, butterscotch, taffy: if you can name it, someone was selling it.

Nate's sobbing faded to a quiet sniffle as he eyed the tasty treats. Nothing could stop him from remembering his brother's promise though. "Why aren't we going to see Casey? There's no way he's still asleep."

A lie teetered on the tip of Jacob's tongue, but he swallowed it and said, "Because I don't like him."

"Why?"

"When I was little, he knocked my tooth out." Jacob massaged his jaw as if it still ached. "He was my hero back then, but now I know what he's really like."

"That doesn't sound like Casey!" Nate said before muttering, "At least, I don't think it does."

Jacob considered arguing but thought better of it. "Don't worry about it," he said. "For now, focus on resisting the urge to buy anything until we get to the games. None of this stuff is worth your money."

"Sure," Nate said, barely listening.

Although they didn't buy anything, Nate and Jacob still enjoyed gawking at all the crazy candy they saw. Nate's personal favorite was the rainbow lollipop that was bigger than his head while Jacob thought the gummy python coiled around a giant gummy bear was super cool.

While they oohed and aahed over a jar full of fist-sized jawbreakers, an old man called out to them, "Would you boys care for a free sample of my homemade fudge?"

Nate sprinted over in a heartbeat. Jacob followed more slowly, old enough to know that free samples can all too easily tempt people to buy just about anything.

"Today's samples are huckleberry flavored," the old man said, holding out a plate loaded with chunks of purple fudge. "I made them this morning."

"They're super pretty," Nate said as he helped himself to a handful.

Jacob glared at the candy. What kind of weirdo would make fruit flavored fudge? Something was off about this man, and it wasn't just the moles that dotted his face like half melted chocolate chips.

"Would you like some too, young man?" The old man held the plate in Jacob's direction. He squinted as Jacob shook his head. "Say, have you been here before? You remind me of someone who used to come here every year."

Jacob took a step back. "I don't know what you're talking about," he stammered. This man gave him the creeps. He grabbed Nate's hand, stopping him from sneaking a second handful of fudge. "We'd better get going."

"Thanks for the fudge!" Nate yelled over his shoulder as Jacob dragged him away.