Chapter 13

The moment Casey exited his house, the crowd outside roared his name. Jacob's stomach dropped when he saw the size of the crowd. He knew Casey was popular, but this was insane. How would Nate be able to hear him over all these people?

A gingerbread guard stepped up to the microphone. "Good afternoon, everyone. Before we begin today's autograph and photo session, our gingerbread boy has something important to say."

Casey led Jacob to the microphone. The crowd silenced as a hundred pairs of eyes focused on Jacob. Near the front of the crowd, Mr. Johnson mouthed his son's name with a mixture of shock and relief.

Jacob gulped as his eyes met his Dad's. If this didn't work, he'd be grounded for life. His throat felt as if it was stuffed full of cotton candy as he struggled to speak.

Casey squeezed his hand gently. "You can do this," he whispered.

"Will Nate Johnson please come to the front of the crowd?" Jacob said into the microphone.

The crowd parted as a kid wearing a Casey hat with a torn ear ran to Jacob. "What did he do to you?" he asked as tears streamed down his face. He turned to Casey with his fists clenched. "Turn him back!" he yelled.

Casey put his hands up and took a step back.

Jacob stepped between them. "It's okay. You were right earlier. Casey would never hurt anyone." He hugged Nate as hard as he could. "Never run off like that again, okay? You scared me."

"I think we scared Dad too," Nate said as Mr. Johnson ran up and hugged them both.