Chapter 4

"Dad, can we go on the Caramel Coaster now?" Jacob asked as soon as he got off the boat.

"How about we have lunch first? I could use a little pick me up." His eyes were still red from crying.

Nate groaned. "But you said we would go after we went on your favorite ride. When do we get to do something we'll like?"

Jacob didn't say anything, torn between disappointment that he still hadn't gotten to ride that cool looking roller coaster and sadness that his parents' divorce was weighing on all of them like a backpack full of textbooks.

"Sorry, boys. I just need to relax for a bit so I'll be ready to scream my lungs out later." A weak smile flickered across his face as he said, "I'll see if I can get you two some caramel corn for dessert. Now, why don't you go grab up a table? This might take a while." With that, he left to stand in the ridiculously long line in front of a concession stand.

The boys plopped themselves down on some chairs near a table shaped like a peppermint. "If we're quick, we might be able to ride the Caramel Coaster and come back before he knows we're gone," Jacob whispered.

"I dunno," Nate said. "He's having a rough day too. Wouldn't it be mean to ditch him?"

"Not if he doesn't know we're ditching him." Nate still didn't look convinced, so Jacob said, "You know, I think we might be able to sneak in a quick trip to say hi to Casey if we go right now." Jacob swallowed nervously at the thought of fulfilling that promise.

"Ugh, okay. But how are we going to pull this off?" Both brothers scowled, lost in thought, until Nate glanced around at the crowd of visitors milling around the food court like a herd of cattle. "I've got it! We'll hide in the crowd."

"We need to make sure Dad won't recognize us if he looks in our direction though," Jacob said. Glancing at the visitors dressed from head to toe in Casey-themed merchandise, he got an idea. He yanked Nate's hat off his head and placed it on his own. When Nate tried to protest, he said, "You're small, so you'll be tough to spot. I have to put more effort into blending in."

Jacob silently wished Nate protested more as the hat's sickly sweet scent washed over him and its hot, itchy fabric sent streams of sweat running down his face.

After checking to make sure their dad wasn't looking in their direction, the boys dove into the crowd. Jacob held onto Nate's hand in an attempt to make sure they stayed together. Elbows knocked into their sides as children rushed from one snack stand to the next while their parents struggled to keep up. One particularly excited kid practically tackled Jacob as he scrambled toward a stand selling mini doughnuts.

Before he could blink, Nate's hand slipped out of his grip.

Nate let out a startled, high-pitched sound as the crowd swallowed him. Jacob shoved his way through the mass of people until he reached his little brother and grabbed his hand.

"Are you trying to get us caught?" Jacob hissed as several adults cast him annoyed looks.

Nate trembled and took deep breaths as he struggled to calm down.

"Are you okay?" Jacob asked.

Nate raised a shaking finger and pointed at their dad who was staring in the direction of the ruckus.