24

~Savannah~

It takes about forty five minutes before Nate comes back.

"Where did you go?" Skylar jokes, taking some of the food and drinks from Nate and distributing them.

He shrugs. "Just took a detour."

Sierra studies him as she has been the past few months. She's being the protective big sister even if she denies it.

"You okay?" Skylar asks, taking a more serious tone as he sits beside Nate.

Nate tries to put on a smile but it falters. And he knows we've seen it.

"Nate." I say, and he looks up at me.

"Amanda broke up with me." He whispers.

Skylar's arm is around Nate but he reels back a bit.

"What?" He asks, not believing what he's heard. Skylar represnts Sierra and I since we're speechless.

I look at Sierra who's sitting on the left side of me but still on the bed. She's processing all this and I know she's thinking of how it'll affect me. I want to tell her I'm fine but I know she won't listen.

"I went out to get the food and drinks but Clair was there. She stopped me and talked to me, firing questions. So I visited Amanda. I honestly forgot." Nate admits, burying his face in his hands. "I think it's better that we're not together anymore. I'm such a pathetic boyfriend. Was, I mean."

Before Skylar can say anything, Nate continues.

"I went to Amanda's room. Clair and her dad were there. Amanda sort of talked and asked questions and then she said Clair told her to do it. But then we decided it's probably for the better. She admitted that she gets easily jealous and it's hard for her. So yeah, she broke up with me. I think it's Clair's way of revenge too and making sure the same thing that happened to her doesn't happen to Amanda. The good boyfriend dumping her out of the blue."

"Josh didn't dump her out of the blue. She knew it was coming if she started hanging out with another guy." Sierra says. "I think Clair's afraid to get her name tainted. And she wants someone to go through all of it with her. I'm starting to think Clair's the reason for Amanda's behavior."

Sierra looks at me now and I shrug. "No one can say and so we shouldn't judge."

Sierra smiles at that.

"What's Clair's last name again?" I ask, a sudden prompting growing in me again.

I feel like God's telling me to connect the dots already.

"Um, Canyon." Nate answers.

I gasp and clap my hands together.

"What?" The three of them ask me at the same time.

"Clair is the daughter of Professor Canyon." I summarize.

Nate's looking at me wide eyes. "No wonder he seemed familiar."

"So he was there." I say slowly. "Do you think he's out to get us? And Clair too?"

Skylar stands and sits on the other side of me. He puts a protective arm around me.

"No one's going to get you while I'm here." He promises. "And the rest of us too."

"Thanks." I tell him, leaning my head against my brother's shoulders. "But seriously. What's their plan?"

Just then a phone rings.

"Hello?" Sierra answers and looks at us with wide eyes. "Do you need us to come home?"