11

~Savannah~

We watch them surf, my heart so much lighter and before.

"Are you happy?" Mom asks.

I look at her and smile. "Yes. It feels so good. Telling God I forgive him is one thing. Telling him is another. And having received it and start off a new friendship is better."

Mom nods and looks at Diana, Nate's mom. They share a look and continue watching. I look at dad to see if he noticed but he too is watching the meet.

Soon, the surfers are called in and we cheer for Nate and Josh.

They run up to us, big smiles on their faces.

"Congratulations boys! You two carved it up!" Josh's dad says, fist bumping both boys.

They come sit with us on the beach towels, well with them. I watch from the high seat of my wheelchair.

Nate looks at me and I smile. Congrats, I mouth.

He nods in thanks. He looks as if he wants to say something more but decides against it. He answers his parents' questions and tells the story of riding the latest wave.

The champions are announced and we cheer as Josh and Nate's names are called.

Nate's the champion for this year's senior surf meet and we're all real happy. We cheer and take pictures, enjoying the view and the victory.

By six pm, we head back to the hotel. Dad pushes me all the way.

Once inside the room, dad sits on a chair and calls for my attention.

"Savannah, I'll be heading back to work tomorrow. You take care of yourself and be wise. I'm really happy you and Nate are friends again, seastar but please be wise and be careful. Don't let your emotions go too far."

I nod and smile, understanding what he means. "Don't worry, dad. No emotions crossing the line here."

He smiles and kisses my forehead. "I love you, Savannah."

I kiss his cheek. "Love you too, daddy."

He goes into the other room and I have a feeling I won't wake up in time to see him off tomorrow.

Mom comes in and helps me get ready for bed.

"I ordered room service. We'll have a little dinner picnic here with a movie. How does that sound?" Mom asks, a contented smile on her face.

I nod excitedly. "And dad?"

"He's already asleep. He'll be leaving early tomorrow." She replies.

"Oh, right."

Mom walks out to get a towel for the food to be put on top.

She turns on the tv and chooses a movie.

"Action or-"

"Not action." I reply quickly. "I think my mind is pretty full of books and movies regarding such. Maybe comedy, light movie or cartoon?"

Mom smiles. "And what would a light movie be?"

"You know what I mean." I say, rolling my eyes.

She scans through the movies and chooses 50 First Dates or Mamma Mia.

"You do know that if you choose Mamma Mia, we'll have to watch the next one." I say.

She thinks and chooses 50 First Dates.

"We're not staying up that late. You need rest." She says with a wink.