5

"Sav, do you still want to go to school?" Mom asks me gently, a hand on my shoulder, urging me to wake up.

I sit up with her help, still not used to getting up with one arm, and she helps me into the wheelchair. She helps me shower and change and she brings me to the living room where Nate stands.

He smiles at me and hands me a shell bracelet to match the necklace.

"This is for you." He says, putting the bracelet on my wrist.

"Thank you." I say.

"Are you coming to school?" He asks.

I look at myself then at mom.

She looks at me too. Waiting for my reply.

"I'll help you. I'll be with you. I'll push you wherever you want to go." Nate promises.

I look at mom and she's smiling. She shrugs. "Up to you, sweetie."

I nod and Nate's eyes light up. Mom helps me eat breakfast then brings Nate and I to school.

Once I'm on the ground, I feel a crowd of eyes staring. A whirlwind of whispers reach my ears and I even hear some snickers and laughing.

"Don't mind them, Sav. Everyone knows you're not only a talented surfer but a smart and kind girl." Nate whispers in my ear.

I smile at his little encouragement and let him push me into the hallway and down to our classroom.

Ms. Lily's eyes widen in surprise at seeing Nate and I.

"Savannah!" She rushes to hug me. "Oh sweet girl, I heard what happened. I've been so worried. Are you okay?"

I smile at her. "I'll be okay."

She smiles. "That's the spirit." She looks at Nate and tells him to position the wheelchair in front, beside his desk.

The first part of the day goes okay. Everyone's shocked at my sudden appearance since most of the kids didn't know what happened. But once Nate pushes me out to the hallway and into the cafeteria, the older kids take time to look at me and talk.

To my surprise Roger's still around.

Nate pushes me to a vacant table and opens up our lunch boxes.

Roger comes up with his group of friends.

"Still here, Savannah? Thought you'd have chickened out by now." Roger says, his voice strong but his eyes showing he really is surprised to see me.

"You really did it Roger." A boy says with a low whistle. "You got her out."

"Yeah. No more little miss junior champion, miracle surfer." A girl says with a face that tells me she's disgusted with me.

I look down at my food.

"Aw. She's scared now. And shy." The boy from earlier says, taking steps towards me.

I look at Nate.

"Go away." He says softly.

The boy looks at him. "I'm sorry. Were you telling me to go away?"

Nate snaps out of his daze. "Yes. Go away." He stands up and walks towards the boy, standing in between him and me.

The boy laughs and shakes his head. "Oh, we'll be back."