⊰ 27 ⊱

It was hard for Amaryllis not to be upset about having to do hero work on New Years Eve, but it's not like she could do much about it but complain. She could also add the fact that it wasn't as cold and snow covered as it had been, so that did make the experience much more bearable.

Amaryllis's job was simple; just paroling around making sure no one gets themself into trouble. Simple enough and stress free. She also got to tag along with Magno for most of the night, enjoying chatting with him in their free moments.

As for Magno, he had been spending an extensive amount of time researching Red Mask, and to Amaryllis's knowledge he was doing rather well. Amaryllis did her best in aiding him but she wasn't as good as Magno when it comes to digging around the wide web.

Speaking of Magno, he had wondered off not to long ago and Amaryllis was beginning to wonder where he was. He had stated how he had something to check on and would only be a minute. It had definitely been much longer than a minute.

Seeing how she didn't have anything in need of her assistance, Amaryllis decided to go on a hunt for her hero friend. She just kind of aimlessly wondered around, chatting with people that she crossed paths with who were enjoying their New Years. However, there was a small pit of fear growing inside of her as time went on without a word or sign from Magno. It wasn't like him to disappear for so long without a single word.

She then saw that little flicker of light, ever so faintly through the crowd. It was just like that light from that day. Without much of a second thought, Amaryllis pushed herself through the crowd, her aim towards a crack between the buildings where the light had come from.

The busy sounds from the main road began to fade as Amaryllis went deeper into these back alleys. Following her senses more than anything. The stillness around Amaryllis made her senses on high alert, she felt like she could hear a penny drop from miles away.

In the distance, Amaryllis could make out the faint murmur of someone speaking. Doing the best she could, she followed this muffled voice.

As she dove deeper into this maze, the voice slowly grew stronger, till finally dying out once Amaryllis was close. However, Amaryllis knew exactly where this voice was coming from and proceed to make her way there. She rounded a corner and was absolutely horrified with what she saw, and her body moved before her mind could fully process what she was seeing.

In a quick singular motion, Amaryllis raised her hand causing a silver dagger to appear wedged between her fingers before using all of her strength to chuck it straight at Red Mask's face, who had an unconscious and battered Magno hanging above the ground by his neck.

Red Mask, of course, moved out of the way of the deadly dagger, wedging itself into the brick wall behind it instead of Red Mask's forehead. The villain held Magno's limp body out in front of him, using him as a shield upon seeing Amaryllis summon her spear and gain a aggressive stance.

"Inoue-san," Red Mask's words were both threatening and haunting. "How interesting, that you would go straight for the kill. I never saw you as a person with that type of mindset." There was a amused smirk plastered across his pale lips, and Amaryllis felt her heart pounding against her chest.

She hadn't realized her intentions until Red Mask has pointed it out. If he hadn't moved out of the way, Amaryllis could very much have killed him. This of course didn't sit well with Amaryllis, the very idea of it made her shiver.

Red Mask seemed to notice the gears turning in Amaryllis's head, for he took it as a chance to make his move. He slung Magno to the ground and rushed at Amaryllis, she barely had enough time to react as he reared back his fist catching the staff of the spear. Although, he did not miss with his second attack, whipping his foot around to knock the wind out from Amaryllis's stomach. He moved so quick, so much quicker than she ever had trained for. He also struck with much force, she wouldn't be surprised if he broke a few of her ribs.

Amaryllis was soon on the counter attack, but less successful. She swung her spear around to strike the man but he dodged and threw another punch at her, he barely caught her shoulder making Amaryllis shutter from the force. Amaryllis did swing her spear back around and caught Red Mask's side, causing him to lose his balance. She used this opening to whip her leg around but he caught it with ease, tossing Amaryllis to the ground. She scrambled to gain her footing but was stopped at the sight of a pistol pointed to her head. Even through the mask one could see the amused expression on Red Mask's face.

"You put up more of a fight than I expected," he said, his words sliding out of his mouth so easily. "Impressive, for you being so young." He took a pause, Amaryllis watched as he readjusted his hold on the deadly weapon.

"I thought I warned you to keep your nose out of places it doesn't belong." His tone was menacing, and Amaryllis felt fear wash over her freezing her in place. "Though I suppose you were just after your friend here, but he was getting dangerously close and I just couldn't allow that to happen. Not when I'm so close." Amaryllis's eyes shot over to the limp figure of Magno. He looked awful, covered in blood and dirt.

"Oh he's not dead," Red Mask seemed to have noticed Amaryllis's wondering eyes. "At least, not yet at least. It all depends on if he lives through his wounds." Amaryllis wished she could force out some words, anything at all, but she was too petrified to say anything with this gun sitting merely inches from her head.

"Either way," Red Mask sighed, "you really should stay out of my way, you still need to be kept alive for the time being." In a quick motion, Red Mask raised the gun and struck Amaryllis right across her head, knocking her out.